Ulster further tightened their grip at the top of Pool Five with a seven-try 48-0 thumping of bottom side Treviso in the first of their back-to-back clashes.

First-half tries from Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, John Afoa gave unbeaten Ulster a commanding 22-0 lead, which was added to by further scores from Dan Tuohy, Sean Doyle, Andrew Trimble and then a second from Marshall - who had been sin-binned early in the second half.

Jackson also ended the evening with 13 points to his name from a try, five conversions and a penalty while Darren Cave also had an outstanding game and was the provider for two of the scores.

After a pulsating opening from Ulster, Jackson got on the end of Cave's inside pass to score on the right after four minutes - though he was unable to convert.

Just after the quarter of an hour mark, with most of the play already belonging to Ulster, big hits from Sean Doyle and Robbie Diack turned the ball over in the home side's half and Jared Payne made ground before giving Luke Marshall a half chance which he did not turn down.

This time Jackson made the extras and Ulster were 12-0 up. The home side then survived a brief period of Treviso pressure on their line - thanks to a poor clearance from Ruan Pienaar - and responded by immediately going up the field and scoring again, this time with John Afoa barrelling over at the posts.

Jackson converted to put his side 19-0 ahead on 29 minutes. It remained that way until the last play of the half when, after Ulster had run a penalty only to see Luke Marshall hit high, Jackson nailed his first penalty and Ulster trooped off 22-0 to the good.

It was Treviso, though, who hit the ground running at the start of the second half which saw the Italians encamped near Ulster's line early on.

Luke Marshall was then binned in the 52nd minute after preventing release of the ball following Mat Berquist's dangerous half-break near Ulster's line.

Fourteen-man Ulster, though, quickly rallied and secured their try bonus when Dan Tuohy got over after his initial carry almost put Cave clear for the centre to then throw a sumptuous offload to the supporting second row at the posts.

Jackson converted and at 29-0 the Pool Five leaders now looked in a very comfortable position.

And with Marshall just about to return to the action, Ulster got their fifth try when Doyle exuberantly dived over at the posts after Pienaar's assist which meant Jackson again added the extras to push their lead out to 36-0.

The scores kept coming for Ulster and with 10 minutes left, Trimble touched down for their sixth try of the night, although Jackson's tricky conversion hit an upright and bounced out.

Luke Marshall grabbed his second try on 73 minutes, which Jackson converted to end the avalanche of scoring.