Scottish Rugby Union chief executive Mark Dodson says he will not allow Scotland to become the World Cup's "collateral damage" as he vowed to fight off any moves to cancel Sunday's vital clash with Japan.
World Rugby have been forced to call off two games on Saturday as Super Typhoon Hagibis prepares to wreak havoc across Japan's eastern coast.
A decision on the Scots' win-or-bust final Pool A game with the hosts will be made on the morning of the game but Dodson told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that the game should either be moved to an alternative venue or delayed.
We need your consent to load this SoundCloud contentWe use SoundCloud to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
World Rugby have already said they will not budge on tournament rules which state pool matches can only be played on their scheduled dates but Murrayfield bosses are understood to believe clauses relating to "force majeure" measures in the competition guidelines could allow room for manoeuvre.
Dodson said: "My view is that we're not going to let Scotland be the collateral damage for a decision that was taken in haste.
"I think there's alternative (venues) around Japan. The point to me, we are talking about now is not whether the game will take place on Sunday, that will be a purely meteorological issue.
"The issue will be if it can't take place then we're really, really pressing the point that we need to have to get this game delayed 24 hours later."
And Dodson warned the SRU are exploring legal options to ensure the game goes ahead.
He said: "The first is and most important is that we look after the safety of the general public. The second thing is for World Rugby to just simply state that the game has to be cancelled goes against the whole sporting integrity of the tournament.
"We have been preparing for this tournament now for four years, the guys have had over 100 days in camp, we've played games already and the fourth game in this particular case is pivotal.
"We've had consistent dialogue since the last three or four days around this with senior people at World Rugby, but World Rugby seem to be determined to stick to its plan that the match is either played on Sunday or indeed it is cancelled, and to have it cancelled and have our ability to progress from this group put at peril, we believe is absolutely unacceptable.
"World Rugby is pointing us back to the participation agreement. We've had legal opinion - from a leading QC - that challenges World Rugby's interpretation.
"We don't know that (it's too late) - we have to challenge it. But we should be talking about this from a rugby perspective, this is about the game and the rugby supporters across the world are absolutely astounded at this rigidity from World Rugby.
"The common sense approach to this is to play the game 24 hours later on perfect safety where we can make sure that the pool stages are completed, and the sporting integrity of the tournament remains intact."
But World Rugby have criticised Dodson's comments, insisting the SRU were happy to sign up to the World Cup's "terms of participation" - which sets out the ban on rescheduling pool matches - before the tournament kicked-off.
In a statement, the governing body said: "It is disappointing that the Scottish Rugby Union should make such comments at a time when we are doing everything we can to enable all Sunday's matches to take place as scheduled, and when there is a real and significant threat to public safety owing to what is predicted to be one of the largest and most destructive typhoons to hit Japan since 1958."
The statement added: "The core principle that could enable us to explore a departure from the terms of participation, is a fair and consistent application of the rescheduling for all teams in a safe environment for teams, fans and essential match services.
"The sheer predicted scale and impact of the typhoon, and the complexity of team movements for eight matches, meant that an even-handed application was just not possible without putting safety at risk.
"Therefore, it was the fair and correct decision for all teams to maintain the position outlined in the terms of participation."
Follow Ireland v Samoa on Saturday 12 October (kick-off 11.45am) via the live blog on RTÉ.ie/Sport and the News Now App, watch live on RTÉ2 or listen to live match commentary on RTÉ 2fm.