Horse Racing Ireland chief executive Brian Kavanagh has expressed concern over the financial ramifications of racing behind closed doors for the domestic industry, but insisted that the human cost of the coronavirus pandemic trumped all other considerations.
Racing in Ireland took place under new Government guidelines for the first time at Dundalk on Friday.
The County Louth venue is normally buzzing with racegoers, but that was not the case after a limit was placed on outdoor events involving crowds of 500 or more, initially until 29 March, as part of special measures in response to the coronavirus outbreak.
Kavanagh admits the situation is in a state of flux.
He said on Racing TV's Luck on Sunday programme: "So far we've had two meetings under the 'closed door' policy and they went fine. There were a couple of little learnings, but nothing major.
"Obviously we don't know what is around the corner with this outbreak and we're conscious that it was the infection of coaches and players which effectively closed the football down. That is the sort of thing you would be concerned about.
"We're confident at the moment. We had the meeting in Navan on Sunday, which would usually have 2,500 people. It went ahead with less than 300 people there and most of them were either involved with a horse or working at the meeting. That's comfortably within the Government's guidelines of limits of 500 people."
He added: "The initial Government instruction was until 29 March, so for the next two weeks at least we will be under these circumstances. Who knows what happens thereafter?
"Navan on Saturday was a sorry sight to see, but you've got to look at the bigger picture - there's a major public health issue here, so we're just glad to be able to keep racing."
🗣 "We're confident that racing continue to go ahead behind closed doors"— Racing TV (@RacingTV) March 15, 2020
Brian Kavanagh from @HRIRacing with the latest on the coronavirus situation which has seen racing take place behind closed doors in Ireland since Friday@ABE_Dubai #LuckOnSunday pic.twitter.com/fgb0AOzgj1
Kavanagh acknowledged racing behind closed doors will have significant economic implications, not only for the ruling body but for the sport as a whole.
He said: "The longer it goes on it will be a challenge, but I don't think that's the important issue at the moment, the important issue is to try to get a grip on this disease and its spread.
"I think it's our duty to try and keep the wheels turning, keep prize-money going into the system and keep people earning a living.
"Anyone working in yards are dependent on racing continuing, so it is a concern. It's a concern probably as much for racecourses as it is for Horse Racing Ireland as they're losing sponsorship and gate receipts.
"You can survive on media rights revenue for a couple of meetings. As a long-term proposition that's not viable, but there's no choice."
Asked whether he felt Irish horses and racegoers could be restricted from travelling to Aintree, should the meeting take place, Kavanagh said: "There's no policy (on movement) at the moment. We're guided completely, as we were in relation to Cheltenham, by the Irish Government.
"There's been a big shift in public mood over here, only in the course of the last week. Going to Cheltenham wasn't an issue as people left and then once people were in Cheltenham we were becoming aware of disquiet back home that there were so many Irish people at such a major meeting as Cheltenham.
"There's no restrictions on horses at the moment and let's hope by the time Aintree comes around there'll be some light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard to see it, but we're meeting on a daily basis and we're taking it one step at a time.
"Aintree is a consideration, but that's a little bit down the road."