McLaren have hired Andreas Seidl as the new boss of their Formula One operation in a bid to revive the British team's waning fortunes.

German Seidl, who has worked in F1 for BMW and more recently as team principal for Porsche in the World Endurance Championship, is one of a number of senior changes by the team in recent times.

Seidl joins McLaren as managing director and becomes the face of their F1 operation. He will report to American chief executive, Zak Brown.

It is unclear, however, if Seidl will be in place for the season-opener in Melbourne on March 17, as McLaren have not reached an agreement with Porsche on his start date.

McLaren, Britain's most successful F1 team, have failed to win a race in more than six years, and are in the midst of the worst run in their long history.

But Seidl has vowed to bring the good times back to Woking following his appointment.

"This is an enormous privilege and challenge, which I am ready for and committed to," said Seidl.

"To have an opportunity to contribute to the McLaren legacy is extremely special and inspiring.

"McLaren has the vision, leadership and experience but, most importantly, the people to return to the front, and that will be my absolute focus and mission."

Despite their poor recent record in F1, Brown is keen for McLaren to expand into other areas of motor racing, with the British team entering a car into this year's Indianapolis 500.

"Andreas is a highly capable leader with a track record of success in everything he has been involved with," said Brown.

"This is a significant appointment for us on two fronts. First, it is another important step in our F1 performance recovery plan and long-term commitment to F1.

"Second, concentrated senior leadership on our F1 programme is an integral part of the long-term strategy of McLaren Racing to expand into other forms of global motorsport over time."

McLaren finished sixth of the 10 teams contesting last year's constructors' championship. Former racing director Eric Boullier was moved on midway through last year, while senior figures, Tim Goss and Matt Morris also left.

Fernando Alonso, who scored 50 of McLaren's 62 points in 2018 has retired from F1, leaving British teenager, Lando Norris and Spaniard Carlos Sainz to form a new-look partnership this year.

McLaren will launch their next car on February 14 ahead of the first winter test in Barcelona four days later.