The head of the commission that oversaw the Bellator 187 event in Dublin has claimed Conor McGregor has been axed from December's UFC 219.

McGregor was a spectator at the 3Arena, there to cheer on his Straight Blast Gym team-mate Charlie Ward for his fight with John Redmond.

After Ward sent his opponent to his knees with a big first-round right-hander, McGregor jumped into the cage in celebration, at which point referee Marc Goddard attempted to pull him away since he was not a licenced corner man and was not permitted to be in the octagon.

However the 29-year-old reacted furiously to the reprimand, pushing Goddard and aggressively shouting insults.

"Mr McGregor is not bigger than MMA," Mike Mazzulli, the director of the Mohegan Commission which regulated the fight, said on the MMA Hour.

"Mr McGregor may not be around in five years, but MMA will still be here. I think that’s very important to understand that fighter safety is the most important thing in the world because without fighter safety, this sport would not proceed to the next level like it always has."

Mazzulli is also the president of Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC) and was in attendance in Dublin when the incident occurred.

He warned that McGregor's behaviour will be punished, and stressed that it cannot be tolerated in the sport.

Although his presence on the UFC 219 card hadn't been confirmed, it's thought McGregor was lining up his return to action at the event.

"Mr Goddard breaks the fighters up and all of a sudden Mr McGregor takes it upon himself to jump into the cage," he added.

"Safety is the most important thing for the fighters that are down.

"Mr Redmond was knocked - I don't want to say he was unconscious - but he was hit quite heavy. The first thing I wanted to do was inspect him and get Mr McGregor and his crew out of the cage so that's what we did. 

"He actually made it difficult for the doctors to get in there and administer some medical attention. At that point I wanted to make sure Mr Redmond was safe and I wanted to clear the cage. 

"He was unprofessional, disrespectful and it was not acceptable in my eyes. 

"After the event, I had some executives from UFC contact me within two hours after what occurred. And they basically said to me that it was completely unacceptable in their eyes and that they will be doing something.

"They did inform me that he was set to be on the 30 December card and he will not be on it. So I do commend UFC to some extent for doing that."