Tadhg de Burca produced a masterclass as Waterford secured their first championship win since defeating Cork in the 2017 All-Ireland semi-final after Liam Cahill's men ousted the Rebels in the Munster semi-final at Semple Stadium. 

It was a fully-deserved win for Cahill in his first championship match as they built on a three-point interval lead to carve out a great win. 

Waterford won the toss and opted to play with the breeze, and duly led 0-15 to 0-12 at the end of a free-flowing opening half. Indeed they would have been further in front had they not shot 14 wides, compared to nine for Cork. 

Both sides were guilty of wayward shooting after a hectic opening that saw the Rebels race into a 0-04 to 0-2 lead after just four minutes. 

Cork continued that bright start to lead by 0-05 to 0-04 after nine minutes, but failed to score for the next 12 minutes as Waterford took over and hit 0-05 without reply with Stephen Bennett, on free-taking duties after Pauric Mahony was ruled out for season through injury, recovering from a couple of misses to shoot six by the interval. 

Jack Prendergast breaks clear of the challenge of Cork's Tim O'Mahony

Dessie Hutchinson crowned his championship debut with a couple of excellent points from the right in the opening half with Austin Gleeson, Jamie Barron and Jake Dillon also prominent during a good spell for Waterford. 

But the Rebels kept in touch with Patrick Horgan shooting two from play in addition to a couple of frees, while Shane Kingston hit three good points and Conor Lehane chipped in with a brace as they cut the gap to a goal by the break. 

Calum Lyons and Gleeson exchanged points with Bill Cooper and Horgan before the superb Lyons soloed through from the right and finished low to the net with a drop shot. 

Calum Lyons points the way after his second-half goal

Waterford quickly followed the goal with points from Jack Prendergast and Bennett to lead by 1-19 to 0-14 after 40 minutes. 

But Cork rallied with three points without reply, two of them from Seamus Harnedy and one from Christopher Joyce to reduce the margin to five after 44 minutes. 

The sides continued to exchange points and there was still five between them at the second water break, with Waterford taking a 1-22 to 0-20 lead into the final quarter. 

Cork struggled to make inroads into the gap as Waterford kept responding to their points and Hutchinson extended the lead to six with his third point before another Bennett free from distance left Cahill’s men leading by 1-27 to 0-23 with three minutes of regular time remaining. 

Horgan gave Cork hope with a goal from a free deep into injury-time but Patrick Curran shot an insurance point for Waterford after coming on as a sub to seal a first Munster final date since 2016.

Waterford: Stephen O'Keeffe; Shane Fives, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty (0-01); Calum Lyons (1-02), Tadhg De Burca, Kevin Moran (0-01); Jamie Barron (0-03), Kieran Bennett (0-01); Jack Prendergast (0-01), Austin Gleeson (0-03), Jack Fagan; Dessie Hutchinson (0-03), Stephen Bennett (0-12, 1f), Jake Dillon. 

Subs used: Billy Power for K Bennett (55), Neil Montgomery for Fagan (61), Darragh Lyons for Dillon (63), Patrick Curran (0-01) for Gleeson (69). 

Cork: Anthony Nash; Sean O’Leary-Hayes, Damien Cahalane, Sean O’Donoghue; Christopher Joyce (0-01), Robert Downey, Tim O’Mahony; Bill Cooper (0-02), Mark Coleman (0-02, 0-01 sideline); Conor Lehane (0-02), Shane Kingston (0-04), Daire Connery; Patrick Horgan (1-08, 1-03), Seamus Harnedy (0-03), Alan Cadogan (0-01). 

Subs used: Jack O’Connor for Connery (41), Declan Dalton (0-01) for Lehane (54), Luke Meade for Cadogan (57), Billy Hennessy for Joyce (63), Brian Turnbull for Harnedy (71). 

Referee: Sean Stack (Dublin).