Former Dublin hurler Mick Carton admits he endured some "scary" days in hospital after contracting Covid-19 but says the dedicated medical staff highlighted how to take positives from the experience instead.

The HSE has stated that 37,000 tests for Covid-19 have been completed and their results returned in this country since the global pandemic arrived on these shores.

We need your consent to load this SoundCloud contentWe use SoundCloud to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Carton is one of more than 4,600 people who have tested positive in Ireland and after revealing his case on social media, he spoke to RTÉ Radio 1's Sunday Sport to give more detail on his experience.

The O'Toole's clubman, who pocketed a Leinster title under Anthony Daly in 2013, first began to notice something was up the day after having two drinks in his local pub, prior to the lockdown.

"I woke up the next day and I thought, 'I have the worst hangover'," he told listeners.

A thumping headache lasted for three days and he then developed aches and pains all over his body. Carton, who has no underlying medical issues, got a fever on the fourth day and then decided to get tested.

Given he didn't have a cough or sore throat, the 35-year-old was somewhat shocked when the result was returned positive.

"To see that x-ray when I wasn't showing any symptoms was scary"

"It was a tough week.They sent an ambulance straight away. The first six days in hospital were really tough. 

"There were some scary moments. I was really sick in hospital and they did a chest x-ray and the results were quite vicious. 

"I was surprised because I wasn't having any shortness of breath. To see that x-ray when I wasn't showing any symptoms was scary. 

"They had me on oxygen for four days solid and struggled to get my oxygen levels up.

"I'm young, fit and I definitely struggled to shake it."

While Carton was fortunate enough to make a full recovery and was discharged after 11 days at the Mater Hospital, the firefighter paid tribute to those working on the frontline and says ultimately the experience has highlighted the human spirit.

"My first thought when I got into hospital was, 'I hope I didn't give it to any of my family and friends'. I have a wife at home with two young kids. You worry about everyone, but I will leave this scenario with positive memories. 

"It was overwhelming for everyone"

"I can't thank the staff enough. They were putting their lives at risk looking after us all. The ward I was on was just for coronavirus. 

"The support from family, friends and neighbours was incredible. The sense of community and how positive everyone was around us, I'll never forget it. 

"It was overwhelming for everyone."