Cork maintained their unbeaten run in Allianz Hurling League Division 1B as they overcame Offaly at Páirc Uí Rinn by 1-24 to 1-18.

Despite 1-08 from Patrick Horgan, Cork could never fully shake off a valiant Faithful side who came back to within three points late on before William Egan starred in a strong Cork finish.

Séamus Harnedy and Aidan Walsh impressed in the first half as Cork led by 1-12 to 1-04 at half-time. Dan Currams scored Offaly's goal.

More to follow...

The first half was short on quality, with the sides level at 0-02 each after the first ten minutes while Offaly were unlucky not to grab a goal.

Midfielder Seán Ryan's delivery was missed by Cork goalkeeper Anthony Nash only for the ball to stop on the line before Killian Murphy cleared.

The visitors did get a goal in the 17th minute. After Cork looked to have found their stride when points from Horgan and Conor Lehane eased them clear, Currams struck for the Faithful County, firing low to the net after Conor Mahon's pass beat the Cork defence.

It took Cork five minutes to level at 0-05 to 1-02, but after they did through Daniel Kearney – they  they really pushed on.

Horgan's goal from a 20-metre free after Stephen Moylan was fouled helped to restore their superiority and from there they eased clear.

Harnedy and Aidan Walsh got some good points and Walsh would have had a second goal for the Rebels had it not been for James Dempsey's fine save.

At half-time it was 1-12 to 1-04 and very difficult to envisage anything other than a comfortable Cork victory.

In truth, that looked like the outcome for much of the second half too, even when points from Brian Carroll and Joe Bergin brought Offaly to within six, but the introductions of Thomas and Peter Geraghty gave the visitors an added dimension.

While top scorer Horgan continued to convert Cork frees, they could not shake off Offaly and had netminder Nash not kept out Carroll's effort on 61 minutes it could have been a very nervy conclusion.

Even without the goal, points from Cathal Parlon, Stephen Quirke and Bergin left it 1-20 to 1-17, but two points from William Egan eased Cork clear again and they had the result sewn up.

Cork: A Nash; S O’Neill, W Egan (0-02), K Murphy; E Cadogan, E Keane, S McDonnell; R O’Shea (0-01), L McLoughlin (0-02); D Kearney (0-02), S Harnedy (0-04), A Walsh (0-03); P Horgan (1-08, 0-04f), C Lehane (0-01), S Moylan.

Subs used: B Hartnett for Moylan (47 mins), B Lawton (0-01) for Lehane (50), C Joyce for Murphy (60), M Cahalane for Kearney (65), C McCarthy for Walsh (68).

Offaly: J Dempsey; N Wynne, R Hanniffy, J Rigney; C Parlon (0-01), G Healion, D Mooney; D Kilmartin, S Ryan; J Bergin (0-06, 0-03f, 0-01 '65'), D Currams (1-01), C Mahon; B Carroll (0-05, 0-05f), S Dooley, K Connolly.

Subs: C McDonald for Healion, P Geraghty (0-01) for Ryan (both half-time), T Geraghty (0-03) for Mooney (49 mins), S Quirke (0-01) for Dooley (58), C Egan for Kilmartin (59).

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)