Clare defeated Wexford by 3-24 to 1-20 after extra-time in the All-Ireland SHC Phase 3 qualifier at Semple Stadium.

The Banner County came good in extra-time to see off a brave Wexford outfit. The sides were tied at 1-17 apiece at the end of the regulation 70 minutes.

Two goals from sub Cathal McInerney set Clare on their way to the All-Ireland quarter-finals in the first period of extra-time and Wexford lost corner back Bobby Kenny to a second yellow card before the finish.

Jack Guiney, one of Wexford’s U21 heroes from midweek against Kilkenny, levelled the scores with a stunning goal deep in stoppage time and ensured extra-time would be played.

The full-forward fetched Ciaran Kenny’s delivery, held off two defenders and cracked home a brilliant goal at the Town End of the Thurles venue.

But Clare came good in extra-time as McInerney, a 65th minute sub, cracked home two fine goals, both created by Conor McGrath.

And Wexford’s day ended on a sour note when corner back Bobby Kenny was sent off for a second bookable offence.

But the Model County showed real bravery to come back and level the game, after they had trailed by six points with 15 minutes remaining.

They were also seven behind early in the second half but Liam Dunne has instilled a never-say-die attitude in his players and they came roaring back in the final fifteen minutes, outscoring Clare by 1-5 to 0-2.

And even when the game was gone in extra-time, Wexford kept going as top scorer Guiney rattled the crossbar.

At half-time in normal time, Clare led by 1-10 to 0-7, with Shane O’Donnell, a late replacement for Darach Honan, cracking home the 14th minute goal after collecting Patrick Donnellan’s brilliant pass.

That followed a run of three Wexford points without reply, after Clare had registered the opening two points of the game.

Wexford’s best sight of goal in the opening half came when Podge Doran lashed a shot at Patrick Kelly in the 18th minute, but the Clare goalkeeper dealt with it comfortably.

Clare could have had a second goal four minutes before half-time after Wexford full-back Tomás Waters body checked O’Donnell to concede a penalty.

Tony Kelly stepped up but saw his penalty saved, and the same player opted to tap the ball over the crossbar with time almost up at the end of extra-time.

Clare: P Kelly; D O’Donovan, D McInerney, C Dillon; B Bugler (0-1), P Donnellan, P O’Connor; C Galvin, C Ryan (0-10, 6f, 2 65s); J Conlon (0-3), T Kelly (0-5, 0-1 pen), P Duggan; P Collins (0-1), S O’Donnell (1-1), C McGrath.

Subs: S Morey (0-1) for Galvin (54), A Cunningham (0-1) for Duggan (59), C McInerney (2-1) for O’Donnell (65), F Lynch for Conlon (70+1), N O’Connell for Ryan (70+1), Ryan for Morey (75), Conlon for McGrath (80), Morey for O’Connor (86).

Wexford: M Fanning; E Moore, T Waters, B Kenny; R Kehoe, K Rossiter, C Kenny (0-1); A Shore, D Redmond (0-2); P Morris (0-2), E Quigley, G Sinnott (0-1); R Jacob, J Guiney (1-8, 0-6f), P Doran (0-2).

Subs: G Moore (0-2) for Quigley (34), H Kehoe for R Kehoe (h.t.), E Doyle for Waters (64), PJ Nolan for H Kehoe (69), C McDonald (0-1) for Doran (69), M O’Regan (0-1) for Sinnott (76), C O’Shaughnessy for Rossiter (79).

Referee: D Kirwan (Cork).