Ian Poulter admits the first LIV Golf Invitational Series event retains "lots of pluses", despite being denied permission to play by the PGA Tour.
Poulter joins Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia and Phil Mickelson as the most high-profile players known to have asked for the required release to play the 54-hole event at Centurion Club, which boasts a total prize fund of $20.2million and $3.2million to the winner.
However, PGA Tour members were informed last week that releases had not been granted, leaving them open to sanctions if they do tee it up in St Albans from June 9-11.
Those could include fines or bans from the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, placing future participation in the Ryder Cup as a player or captain in jeopardy, although LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman has pledged to "defend, reimburse and represent" any players hit by sanctions.
It remains to be seen how many play at Centurion Club regardless - Richard Bland told BBC Radio Solent he will definitely compete - but asked if it was a difficult decision, Poulter said: "It's a big attraction, for sure. There's lots of pluses to it.
"I'm going to play this week, I'm playing next week and then we will see."
The severity of potential sanctions remains uncertain and, speaking ahead of the US PGA Championship at Southern Hills, Poulter added: "We've no idea.
"I'm focused on playing well this week. I need to play well to get into the US Open. I'm 83 in the world and I'd love to play in the US Open (the top 60 on May 23 and June 6 qualify).
"I want to play as many tournaments as I possibly can. For me it's simple. Play well this week, play well next week and see how potentially things pan out.
"There's so many unknowns and it's hard to talk about unknowns."
Asked specifically about the threat of a Ryder Cup ban, Europe's talisman in the biennial event added: "Speculation. No-one knows the ifs or buts."