Shane Lowry and Graeme McDowell are among the players who have committed to play the 2022 Saudi Invitational.

Twenty-five of the game's biggest names are among the entries so far, potentially placing them on a collision course with their home circuits.

Defending champion Dustin Johnson, Tommy Fleetwood, Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia and Bryson DeChambeau are also among the players scheduled to compete in the £3.7 million event from 3-6 February.

The PGA Tour said in July that it would not grant players the required releases to play in "unsanctioned events", with the DP World Tour - which signed a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour a year ago - expected to follow suit.

That could lead to players being fined or even suspended if they opt to play at Royal Greens Golf and Country Club in Jeddah or in other Asian Tour events.

On Monday the PGA Tour said in a statement: "We have not granted any conflicting-event releases for the Saudi International tournament.

"Per PGA Tour regulations, a decision on conflicting-event releases can be made up until 30 days before the event's first round."

The Saudi International was previously on the European Tour but is now the flagship event on the Asian Tour, which is also launching 10 new events spearheaded by former world number one Greg Norman and backed by $200 million from the Saudi government's Private Investment Fund.

The DP World Tour declined to comment on the issue when contacted by the PA news agency.