Late injuries to former captains David Burke and Padraic Mannion were the only damper for Galway as they advanced to a Leinster SHC final showdown with Kilkenny after easing to victory over Dublin at Pearse Stadium.

And the Dubs paid the price for another poor display as they bowed out of the championship on scoring difference without ever getting on top in Salthill in front of a crowd of 10,583.

Henry Shefflin will also feel there is ample room for improvement as he prepares for another clash with his former manager Brian Cody in a fortnight's time.

Dublin had the wind in the opening half but went in trailing by 0-12 to 0-11 with sides guilty of missing chances on a blustering evening in Salthill.

Their failure to build a lead with the elements left them chasing the game, but Galway pulled away and even a missed penalty when Conor Cooney's effort was saved by Sean Brennan didn’t derail the Tribesmen, with Conor Whelan hitting 0-05 in the second-half to see them home.

The sides were level eight times in that opening half, but it was stop-start throughout with little fluency with referee Johnny Murphy constantly blowing for frees.

Conor Cooney, who became Galway’s second top scorer in the championship behind Joe Canning when he landed the second of his 13 points, got his radar on target and kept the scoreboard clicking.

Once more Dublin depending a lot on Donal Burke for scores and while he landed five from play in addition to nine frees, they rarely looked like getting a goal which would ignite their campaign.

A free from Burke four minutes from the break levelled the sides before Cooney struck three in a row for the Tribesmen but just when it looked like they would pull away, Dublin finished the half strongly with a couple of points from Burke to leave the minimum between them at the break.

Galway took over after the restart with Conor Cooney, Whelan, Cathal Mannion and Joseph Cooney hitting good points and while Eamon Dillon and Chris Crummy responded for Dublin, Galway pushed on even after Cooney’s penalty was blocked after Whelan was fouled by Eoghan O’Donnell.

Fintan Burke continued his superb point-scoring from sidelines and while Burke did most to keep Dublin in the hunt, Galway were able to pick off sufficient scores to ease their way to victory and set up another date with Kilkenny.

Galway: Éanna Murphy; Padraic Mannion, Daithí Burke, Jack Grealish; Fintan Burke (0-02, 0-01sl), Gearóid McInerney, Darren Morrissey; David Burke, Tom Monaghan; Cianan Fahy (0-01), Conor Cooney (0-13, 0-12f), Joseph Cooney (0-02); Brian Concannon (0-01), Conor Whelan (0-05), Cathal Mannion (0-03).

Subs – Jason Flynn for Fahy (57), Johnny Coen for Monaghan (60), Ronan Glennon for David Burke (62), Tiernan Killeen for P Mannion (67), Evan Niland for Concannon (69).

Dublin: Seán Brennan; John Bellew, Eoghan O'Donnell, Cian O’Callaghan; Daire Gray, Paddy Smyth, Andrew Dunphy; James Madden, Chris Crummey (0-01); Dónal Burke (0-14, 0-09f), Rian McBride (0-02), Conor Burke (0-01); Fergal Whitely, Eamonn Dillon (0-01), Danny Sutcliffe (0-01).

Subs – Ronan Hayes for Madden (10, blood), Madden for Hayes (10), Hayes for Madden (15), Madden for Dunphy (40), Paul Crummey (0-01) for Sutcliffe (56), Colin Currie for Whitely (56), Donnacha Ryan for Gray (61).Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).