Roscommon have booked a spot in the 2022 Connacht Senior Football Championship final after a comfortable 12-point win over Sligo at Markievicz Park.

Having beaten the Rossies in a provincial semi-final on their way to their historic U-20 Connacht Championship win earlier this month, hopes were high in Sligo that they might at least trouble their neighbours in the equivalent senior fixture, or at least give the Allianz League Division 2 champions something to think about in wet and greasy conditions at their home field.

Over 6,000 people made their way to Markievicz Park, and for the first ten minutes, they saw the home side suggest that this might become the type of arm-wrestle that would give Roscommon pause for thought.

Then corner-back David Phillips was sent off for his part in an off the ball altercation with Conor Cox, and the contest became a simple procession that ended with Roscommon scoring 0-18 from play and putting 11 different names on the scoresheet, including all five substitutes.

Power at midfield and some front-foot defensive play helped Sligo to lead by the odd point in three in the early stages, with Pat O'Connor kicking over the only point from play.

Sligo defender David Phillips reacts after being sent off by Noel Mooney

Roscommon’s highly-rated attack struggled to get into the game, but Cox was happy to carry them through this difficult period, kicking their first four points as they moved into an 0-04 to 0-02 lead.

The third of these was a free, and as he trotted back to his position his coming together with Phillips led to the ex-Kerry player laid out on the soggy turf, while referee Noel Mooney consulted with his officials and eventually went with the ultimate sanction.

Cox landed the next score but Darragh Cummins then replied for Sligo to cut the gap back to the bare minimum, as Roscommon enjoyed no end of possession but struggled to make it count on the scoreboard.

Yet the dam was creaking on the Sligo side, and in the last 15 minutes of the half, the pressure became too much to bear.

Ciaráin Murtagh, Enda Smith and Eddie Nolan all added their names to the scoresheet, before two points from Sligo just before half-time - including a wonderful strike on the run from Seán Carrabine off the left wing - left Sligo just about hanging on at the break, 0-09 to 0-05 in arrears.

That fingernail-grip on the contest was wrenched away early in the second half when Roscommon completely took control of the tie.

Roscommon's Cathal Heneghan gets out in front of Sligo's Mikey Gordon

Enda Smith was the dominant influence on the game in the first ten minutes, adding three points, and the gap was all the way out to nine by the time Niall Murphy slipped a lateral pass across into Darragh Cummins for Sligo’s first score since the interval.

Competition for places is fierce among a highly-rated group of Roscommon attackers, and that was proven even further as the bench was emptied by both sides, and Anthony Cunningham and his selectors watched as his five replacements kicked 0-06 between them, including a brace from Niall Kilroy and a wonderful strike from Diarmuid Murtagh off the left-hand sideline.

Roscommon now advance to a Connacht final against Galway or Leitrim, which will be played in Pearse Stadium on Sunday 29 May, while Sligo will hope for better fortunes in the inaugural running of the Tailteann Cup.

Sligo: Aidan Devaney; David Phillips, Evan Lyons, Paul McNamara; Nathan Mullen, Darragh Cummins (0-02), Mark Walsh (0-01); Paul Kilcoyne, Conan Marren (0-01); Mikey Gordon, Patrick O'Connor (0-01), Keelan Cawley; Alan Reilly, Niall Murphy (0-03, 0-02fs), Seán Carrabine (0-01).

Subs: Pat Spillane (0-01) for Reilly (48), David Quinn for Cawley (48), Conor Griffin for O’Connor (54), Peter Laffey for Cummins (56), Pat Hughes (0-01) for Gordon (63).

Roscommon: Colm Lavin; David Murray, Brian Stack (0-01), Eoin McCormack; Conor Hussey, Niall Daly, Ronan Daly; Ultan Harney, Eddie Nolan (0-01, 0-01 45); Ciaráin Murtagh (0-04), Enda Smith (0-04), Cathal Heneghan; Cian McKeon, Donie Smith (0-01, 0-01f), Conor Cox (0-06, 0-03fs).

Subs: Conor Daly (0-01) for Murray (46), Keith Doyle (0-01) for Harney (54), Niall Kilroy (0-02) for McKeon (56), Diarmuid Murtagh (0-01) for D Smith (56), Andrew Glennon (0-01) for Hussey (63).

Referee: Noel Mooney (Cavan).