Three first-half goals propelled Clare to a comprehensive eight-point victory over Tipperary at Semple Stadium.

Ian Galvin, Peter Duggan and Tony Kelly (penalty) stretched the hosts' net as the Banner led by 13 points at half-time, with Ger Browne and Barry Heffernan majors putting respectability on the scoreboard for Tipp in the second half.

Brian Lohan’s men had watched from the stands last weekend as the Premier ran Waterford close, and came into this game with their homework done.

Their last visit to Thurles in the 2018 Munster SHC was decided by a crucial Galvin goal, and he had one on the board after nine minutes here.

Duggan's goalbound attempt was brilliantly saved onto the crossbar by Brian Hogan, but the Clonlara forward patiently waited for it to land before slotting home.

It was Galvin’s third championship goal in as many outings against the Premier, but he wasn’t the only one to pierce the net in the first half.

Before further green flags were raised, a number of white ones also went up.

Jason Forde hit a couple of placed balls, Cathal Barrett burst forward to point, and Noel McGrath also got his name on the board.

All the while, Clare were looking more dangerous as Tony Kelly hit three (two frees) points, while Galvin and David Fitzgerald also found the range.

From four ahead, the Banner kicked into overdrive as John Conlon broke forward to shoot, with Hogan getting in the way again only to see Duggan volley the rebound to the net.

The rangy 2018 All Star then won a penalty on 28 minutes for holding by Brian McGrath, seconds after the Tipperary defender had come on as a sub. Kelly slammed it home without fuss.

Rory Hayes, Ryan Taylor, Galvin and Shane O’Donnell piled on more misery for the hosts, who got some small relief with points through Michael Breen, Browne and a Forde sideline.

Clare led 3-11 to 1-7 at the break but the Premier dominated the early exchanges of the second half to provide a small chink of light.

Browne used his electric pace to solo up the centre of the Clare defence before planting the ball into the top corner, but Colm Bonnar’s side couldn’t build on a great start.

Four wides in a row allowed Clare off the hook, with Fitzgerald and a Kelly free undoing some of the damage.

Heffernan then sent a long ball into the Clare box on 50 minutes, which dropped into the net over the hand of frustrated goalkeeper Eibhear Quilligan.

At 3-13 to 2-07, Tipp were within striking distance but the hard-working Banner men never panicked.

Diarmuid Ryan, Kelly, and a pair of Robyn Mounsey points kept the visitors in control, while David McInerney and Taylor added further scores.

Tipp pressed for goals late on but Quilligan was a match for two Forde strikes, while Kelly and O’Donnell added to their tallies.

TIPPERARY: Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett (0-1), James Quigley, Craig Morgan; Dillon Quirke, Ronan Maher (0-2; 0-1f), Seamus Kennedy; Dan McCormack, Barry Heffernan (1-0); Jason Forde (0-7; 0-4f, 0-2 65; 0-1 s/l), Noel McGrath (0-1) Michael Breen (0-1); Jake Morris, Mark Kehoe (0-1), John McGrath

Subs: Ger Browne (1-3) for J McGrath (23); Brian McGrath for Quigley (27); Conor Stakelum for McCormack (HT); Gearoid O’Connor for Morris (49); Alan Flynn for Heffernan (65)

CLARE: Eibhear Quilligan; Rory Hayes (0-1), Conor Cleary, Paul Flanagan; Diarmuid Ryan (0-1), John Conlan, David McInerney (0-1); Ryan Taylor (0-2), Cathal Malone; Shane O’Donnell (0-2), Tony Kelly (1-7; 0-5, 1-0 pen), David Fitzgerald (0-1); Peter Duggan (1-2), Robyn Mounsey (0-2), Ian Galvin (1-2)

Subs: Patrick Crotty for Galvin (49); Domhnall McMahon for Fitzgerald (62); Shane Golden for Mounsey (70); Jason McCarthy for O’Donnell (70+1); Jack Browne for Taylor (70+4)

Referee: James Owens (Wexford)