Christy Ring Cup favourites Kildare demonstrated their credentials with a handsome 13-point victory in the top-of-the-table clash against Derry in Newbridge this afternoon.

The Ulster side were highly competitive in the opening half, trailing by a solitary point (0-08 to 0-07) at the break but David Herity's team opened up their shoulders in the second period, kicking for home in a dominant display.

Cathal McCabe's goal early in the second half opened up a six-point gap and it was plain sailing for the hosts after that, Gerry Keegan slotting five points from play in a fine display. 1-24 to 0-12 was the score in the finish.

Earlier on in Markievicz Park, Sligo notched their first of the 2022 campaign with a 4-24 to 1-14 win over Wicklow.


The game was done and dusted by half-time, Sligo leading by 16 points (2-14 to 0-05) in the match-up between the Christy Ring's two bottom sides.

Andy Kilcullen struck 2-07 for the victors, with Conor Hanniffy chipping in with 0-08, while Joe McHugh also found the net. Seanie Germaine's goal for Wicklow a mere consolation strike.

In the final game, Mayo withstood a fightback in Ruislip against London to secure their second successive win.

Having dispatched Wicklow last time out, Mayo appeared to be cruising in west London, leading 1-16 to 0-06 at the break.

However, the second half was a more torrid affair for the visitors, the Exiles lashing home two goals, but Mayo survived the onslaught to see it home, winning by six in the end, 1-22 to 2-13.

Tyrone moved clear at the top of the Nicky Rackard standings following their third successive win.

The Red Hands and Armagh were all square at half-time (0-10 to 1-07), Shea Harvey getting the goal, but Tiarnan Murphy bagged a second-half hat-trick as Tyrone ran out 3-17 to 1-15 winners in Carrickmore.

Both Roscommon and Donegal also remain unbeaten after Ronan McDermott's injury-time goal secured a draw for the hosts in Letterkenny.


Two goals (one penalty) from Daniel Glynn had put the Rossies in the driving seat after trailing 0-12 to 0-08 at half-time and they thought they had won it when Adam Donnelly found the net as the clock ticked into the red.

However, McDermott stepped up in the 72nd minute to seal a 1-22 to 3-16 draw. Fermanagh host Warwickshire on Sunday with both sides looking for their first points of the campaign.

In the only Lory Meagher Cup tie this weekend, Longford edged out Louth by a single point in Glennon Brothers Pearse Park.

The lead swung to and fro for much of the contest, Rueben Murray's second half goal giving Longford a four-point lead on 53 minutes.

Darren Geoghegan's 67th-minute goal levelled it up in time for a grandstand finish but points from Paddy Lynam and Joe O'Brien saw Longford home by the minimum, 1-16 to 1-15 the full-time score.