Sligo GAA have confirmed that they will not be fulfilling Wednesday's Under-20 Football Championship final with Mayo if they are not granted home advantage.

The Yeats County qualified for the provincial final with a one-point win over Roscommon last Wednesday with the final then scheduled for the Connacht GAA Centre in Bekan, a location in Mayo.

In a statement yesterday, Sligo explained their position and also revealed details of an email sent to the provincial body informing them of their decision.

"If those charged with the administration of the GAA in Connacht insist on throwing in at Bekan at 7.30 on Wednesday next it is an event in which Sligo GAA will not be involved," their email to Connacht GAA read.

"This has been fully discussed by the players, their team management and the county committee. We are all at one on the point."

The email also stated that if the match was being played in Bekan rather than Markievicz Park to facilitate live coverage from TG4, then the broadcaster should "rearrange its schedule." The Sligo venue does not have floodlight facilities.

"On Wednesday night last (13 April) we formally noted our objection to Connacht Council of the announcement that of the Connacht Centre of Excellence as the location for the Connacht U20 final for which we had qualified minutes earlier," the Sligo statement read.

"This communication was immediately dismissed. Since then we have attempted to communicate the depth of feeling in Sligo on this issue to the Connacht Council and to have the game confirmed to take place in Sligo as would be the norm under the longstanding rotation for intercounty championship games in Connacht including finals.

"We sought to do so in a constructive manner without unnecessary conflict and without disturbing the preparation for that game by the U20 team and by our senior teams who are involved in hurling and football championship action this weekend.

"Having achieved no movement on the issue by yesterday afternoon (Friday) we sent an email to Connacht Council which confirmed formally what had been conveyed by varied informal channels over the previous 24 hours. This email has not been acknowledged.

"We now find ourselves in a position where the players and management involved and our supporters are questioning why we are not saying anything publicly. Accordingly we are sharing the text of that email so that there is no ambiguity as to where we stand."

In relation to the final venue being pre-determined, Sligo said that they couldn't engage in that debate at the time.

"We have also been told that we have to accept Bekan as the venue because this was referred to in an email issued after the Mayo Galway quarter final late on the evening of Wednesday 6 April.

"It would have been utterly disingenuous of us to start discussing the location of a Connacht final when we hadn't even played the semi-final and the suggestion that we should accept the location of the final as Bekan because it was in that email is simply ridiculous."