Louth came out on top by four points in their Allianz Football League Division 3 promotion clash against Fermanagh at Brewster Park in Enniskillen.

Buoyed by midfielder Tommy Durnin's goal right from the throw-in, the visitors never looked back and when Sam Mulroy then found the net at the end of the opening quarter it was all about controlling the outcome for Mickey's Harte’s men.

Fermanagh were chasing the game for the entirety and could not get any sort of worthwhile momentum such was Louth’s control in all departments. The victory now leaves the Wee county in a strong position with two games to play as they don’t have to rely on anyone else’s results.

Just 20 seconds of action saw Durnin link up with cornerman to clip the ball in off the post and still in a daze Fermanagh conceded two more points. Bevan Duffy firing over the score of the game from long range. Seán Quigley failed to ignite early on but Daragh McGurn responded for Kieran Donnelly’s side with a determined brace.

Just as it looked like the hosts were about to get going, Louth would strike again. Fermanagh goalkeeper Cian Newman clipped a kick out inside the D to corner back Luke Flanagan which resulted in a hop ball. Sam Mulroy was quickest to the breaking ball and cut right through the mass of bodies to finish to the top corner of the Brewster net on the run to make it 2-03 to 0-03 and Louth had their cushion.

However, half time came at the right time for Mickey Harte's men as Garvan Jones and Quigley combined for three in a run of four unanswered scores to leave it 2-05 to 0-07 in the Wee County's favour.

The second half looked like it would be a close affair with Quigley firing over the first of six second half points. But Mulroy was up for the duel and responded every time with his trademark accuracy from placed kicks.

Ciarán Byrne, as he has done all season, came off the bench to land crucial scores. The points lifted Louth down the stretch and killed off any ideas the hosts had about a comeback. With two games to play in this hotly contested Division 3, Louth now have destiny in their own hands.

Fermanagh: Cian Newman; Garret Cavanagh, Jonny Cassidy, Luke Flanagan; James McMahon, Aidan Breen (0-01), Jack McCann; Brandon Horan, Ryan Jones; Danny Leonard, Josh Largo Ellis, Garvan Jones (0-3, 1f), Daragh McGurn (0-02), Ciaran Corrigan, Sean Quigley (0-8, 0-4f, 0-01m, 0-01’45).

Subs: Conall Jones for Breen (50), Kane Connor for McCann (54), Stephen McGullion for Corrigan (67)

Louth: James Califf; Donal McKenny, Dan Corcoran, Bevan Duffy (0-01); John Clutterbuck, Niall Sharkey (0-01), Leonard Grey; Conor Early, Tommy Durnin (1-00); John Clutterbuck; Craig Lennon, Sam Mulroy (1-06, 0-05f, 0-01’45), Conall McKeever; Liam Jackson (0-01), Ciaran Downey, Ryan Burns.

Subs: Daire McConnon (0-01) for Early (7), Ciarán Byrne (0-02) for Grey (50), Gerry Malone for McKenny (65), Seán Healy for Clutterbuck (70)

Referee: Martin McNally (Monaghan)

Evan O'Carroll scored Laois' major in Aughrim

Wicklow 0-08 Laois 1-17

Wicklow edged closer to a return to Division 4 as they were outclassed by Laois at Aughrim.

The O'Moore men were on top from early on, conceding the first score - an Alan Dillon point - before moving five clear.

Wicklow, playing a first game under new interim management duo of Alan Costello and Gary Duffy, battled to trail by just two at the break, after efforts from Mark Jackson, Dillon and Eoin Murtagh.

But an Evan O'Carroll goal inside 10 minutes of the resumption killed the game as a contest as late scores from Ross Munnelly, Eoin Lowry, Danny Bolger and Mark Barry saw Laois win pulling up.