Cavan's powerful second-half comeback at Sligo’s Markievicz Park saw them record a six-point win and extend their lead at the top of Division Four.

Although four points down at half-time against a hard-working Sligo, 0-6 to 0-2, the visitors came good in the second period.

A goal from Paddy Lynch with seven minutes of normal time left was the crucial score for Cavan, as Sligo were under pressure due to an early second-half red card for David Quinn.

Conditions at Markievicz Park were sunny but chilly for this clash between then table-toppers Cavan and Sligo.

This game was meant to take place on Sunday, February 20, but was postponed due to an unplayable pitch at Markievicz Park because of that weekend’s storms.

The Mickey Graham-managed Cavan – Ulster champions two years ago – came to Sligo on the back of three victories, the most recent of these coming at home to Carlow.

But the promotion favourites were without the suspended Thomas Galligan, who was red-carded in that win over Carlow.

Sligo’s reversal away to Tipperary was the first loss in three games for Tony McEntee’s men.

With both teams getting plenty of players behind the ball, the opening exchanges were tight.

Sligo, third in the standings, landed the game’s opening two scores – both converted frees – from Niall Murphy and Sean Carrabine.

Cavan didn’t open their account until talisman Gearoid McKiernan’s fisted point in the 19th minute.

Three minutes later goalkeeper Raymond Galligan came upfield to convert a free and level matters at 0-2 each.

Breeze-assisted Sligo controlled the remainder of the opening period and shot four unanswered points to take a 0-6 to 0-2 lead into the break.

There were excellent points from play by Niall Murphy and Alan Reilly, with Sean Carrabine landing a brace of frees.

Sligo were also wasteful in the first-half, kicking five wides, while Cavan also kicked five wides.

During the interval the Sligo panel that won last year’s Connacht GAA Minor Football Championship – Sligo’s first such title since 1968 – were introduced to the crowd.

Cavan’s comeback started within 23 seconds of the restart when Gearoid McKiernan pointed from a mark.

A 38th minute red card for Sligo’s David Quinn transformed proceedings, with the hosts further rattled by a black card for the influential Sean Carrabine eight minutes later.

In between these cards for Sligo there was a black card for Cavan as Michael Argue was sent to the sin bin.

Sligo were four points up, 0-8 to 0-4, with 42 minutes played.

Cavan took over, scoring an unanswered 1-4. Their goal was fortuitous – a long-range point attempt from Cian Lynch dropped short and snuck into the net via a deflection off the upright.

Sligo’s ninth point - from the boot of Keelan Cawley - brought the gap down to two points, 1-8 to 0-9, with five minutes of normal time left.

But Cavan finished strongly and wing-back Oisin Kiernan landed two superb points from play.

There were also further classy scores from Gearoid McKiernan as Cavan reinforced their promotion credentials.

Sligo remain in the hunt for promotion to Division Three, although they’ll have to win their three remaining games.

Sligo: Aidan Devaney, Mark Walsh, Evan Lyons, Paul McNamara, Nathan Mullen, Paul Kilcoyne, Keelan Cawley (0-1), Darragh Cummins (0-1), Peter Laffey, Sean Carrabine (0-4, 4f), Patrick O'Connor (0-1), David Quinn, Alan Reilly (0-1), Pat Hughes, Niall Murphy (0-2, 1f)

Subs used: Mikey Gordon for Pat Hughes, 55; Gavin Gorman for Alan Reilly, 65; Donal Conlon for Patrick O’Connor, 69; Kenny Gavigan for Nathan Mullen, 70+2

Cavan: Raymond Galligan (0-1, 1f), Evan Finnegan, Padraig Faulkner (0-1), Killian Brady, Chris Conroy, Jason McLoughlin, Oisin Kiernan (0-2), James Smith, Michael Argue, Niall Murray, Gearoid McKiernan (0-5, 2 'mark’), Conor Moynagh, Cian Madden, Paddy Lynch (1-2, 1f, 1 'mark’), Caoimhin O’Reilly (0-1)

Subs used: Stephen Smith for Niall Murray, h-t; Benjamin Kelly for Evan Finnegan, 43; Killian Clarke for Michael Argue, 54; Gerard Smith (0-1) for Cian Madden, 62; Thomas Edward Donohoe for Caoimhin O’Reilly, 70+1

Referee: Niall Cullen (Fermanagh)