Fermanagh overturned a five-point half-time deficit into a seven-point winning margin as they picked up their first win of the Division 3 campaign and in doing so leave Longford in a battle for survival.

Two second-half goals from Sean Quigley laid the foundations for this win but Longford had to play the whole second half without captain Mickey Quinn after he received a harsh red card just before half-time.

Aided by a strong wind in the first half Longford used the elements to their advantage. Fermanagh opened the scoring with a pointed free from Quigley but Longford replied with points from Dessie Reynolds and Oran Kenny. Quigley hit over another free in the ninth minute before Longford took control.

Darren Gallagher hit over a fantastic point in the 14th minute before Mark Hughes fired over two points.

Ryan Lyons got a much-needed point for Fermanagh in the 33rd minute but Longford ended the half well.

Jayson Matthews kicked over his first point of the game before Gallagher landed over another excellent point to put four between the sides.

Longford were dealt a blow in stoppage time when Quinn was shown a straight red following an incident with Fermanagh's Ciaran Corrigan.

Matthews kicked over a fine point as Longford held a five-point lead at the break - 0-08 to 0-03.

Ryan Jones kicked over the opening point of the second half before Longford then created two goal chances. Keelin McGann brought a fine save out of Fermanagh keeper Cian Newman before Andrew Farrell scuffed his shot wide.

They were made rue those missed opportunities when in the 41st minute Conall Jones and Quigley combined for the latter to finish to the net.

One minute later Fermanagh took the lead when Ryan Lyons found Quigley and he made no mistake with his second goal of the game. He then followed it up with a point to put three between the sides.

Points from brothers Conall and Ryan Jones (two) extended the Erne County's lead to six in the 64th minute.

A pointed free from Gallagher in the 66th was Longford’s first score of the second half. The influential midfielder set substitute Dylan Farrell up for a goal in the 69th minute to cut the deficit to three points but try as they might Longford couldn’t eat further into the lead.

Fermanagh sealed their win with a third goal deep in stoppage time from substitute Garvin Jones after Josh Largo Ellis did well to pick up a loose ball.

Longford: Paddy Collum; Patrick Fox, Andrew Farrell, Barry O’Farrell; James Moran, Mickey Quinn, Iarla O’Sullivan; Ryan Moffett, Darren Gallagher (0-04, 1f; Keelin McGann, Dessie Reynolds (0-01), Joseph Hagan; Mark Hughes (0-02), Jayson Matthews (0-02), Oran Kenny (0-01).

Subs: Darragh Doherty for McGann (48), Eoghan McCormack for Moran (49), Jack Duggan for Kenny (52), Dylan Farrell (1-00) for Matthews and Aidan McGuire for Hughes (63).

Fermanagh: Cian Newman; Garret Cavanagh, Aidan Breen, Luke Flanagan; Ryan Lyons (0-01), James McMahon, Declan McCusker; Ryan Jones (0-04), Brandon Horan; Ciaran Corrigan, Darragh McGurn (0-01), Josh Largo Ellis; Gary McKenna, Conall Jones (0-01), Sean Quigley (2-03, 2fs).

Subs: Garvin Jones (1-01) for Flanagan (ht), Danny Leonard for McKenna (58), Stephen McGullion for Corrigan (70), Jake Smith for Quigley (70).

Referee: Barry Judge (Sligo).