Derry proved far too strong for Cork in an Allianz Football League clash at Owenbeg, running out nine-point winners after an impressive second half showing.

Slaughtneil's Shane McGuigan top scored with eight points, returning to near his best form.

Benny Heron hit a goal midway through the second half after the crossbar had denied him late in the first.

Derry ran in 0-05 to 0-03 to the good at half-time, but the real factor in the opening 35 minutes was the miserable Owenbeg weather.

A swirling, relentless wind conspired with a heavy, rain-soaked pitch to thwart any real attractive football. It was a day for the artisans, not the artists.

Despite squandering a number of chances, Derry fared best with the left foot of McGuigan, who accounted for four of his side's first-half points, the main difference between two evenly-matched sides.

Frees from Stephen Sherlock book-ended Cork’s scoring output, with only a Daniel Dineen free in between. A late Heron shot, which crashed off the crossbar with 'keeper Chris Kelly beaten, would have put a more glossy shine on the Oakleaf scoreboard but in truth a two-point advantage that Derry held just about summed up the opening half.

Derry found a much quicker gear soon after the restart.

They hit seven of the proceeding eight scores, with Heron’s 44th minute goal the crucial score to put the outcome in little doubt.

Derry men chipped in with scores before and after the goal.

McGuigan matched his first half tally of four, hitting another four points after in the second half. Emmett Bradley, Niall Loughlin and Oisin McWilliams all raised white flags as the home team stamped their authority on the contest.

Opponents Cork disappointed after the break. Their appetite and intensity failed to reach anywhere near their first half performance, with only the free-taking of Stephen Sherlock offering the small band of travelling fans any joy.

By contrast Derry grew in confidence and stature as the game progressed. Padraig McGrogan continued his fine early season form a popped over a score late in the game to shift Derry 0-12 to 0-6.

Shane McGuigan scored his eighth point of the contest to conclude Derry’s card before Kevin O’Donovan hit the last consolation point of the game for under par Cork.

Derry travel to Clare next week with high hopes of promotion to Division 1, while beaten Cork host Galway.

Derry: O Lynch, C McKaigue, B Rogers, C McCluskey, E Doherty, P McGrogan (0-01), C Doherty, C Glass, E Bradley (0-01), P Cassidy, N Loughlin (0-01), O McWilliams (0-01), B Heron (1-00), S McGuigan (0-08, 6f), L Murray (0-01)

Subs: N Toner for L Murray (39), P Cassidy for O McWilliams (53), M Downey for N Loughlin (57), B McCarron for B Heron (56), S Downey for C Doherty (64)

Cork: C Kelly, K O’Donovan (0-01), S Meehan, T Corkery, R Maguire, B Hennessy, M Taylor, I Maguire, S Merritt, C O’Callaghan, F Herlihy, D Dineen (0-01), S Sherlock (0-05, 4f), D Buckley, B Hurley

Subs: J O’Rourke for D Buckley (38), K Flahiue for B Hennessy (50), D O’Connell for S Merritt (53), B Murphy for F Herily (57), C Kiely for R Maguire (57),

Referee: J Connors (Donegal)