Derrygonnelly Harps 2-08 Enniskillen 0-05

"The Harps are back"

That was the proud cry of victorious team captain Ryan Jones as Derrygonnelly Harps took their sixth Fermanagh title in seven years over a younger, lighter and badly outgunned Enniskillen Gaels side in Brewster Park.

The serial champions had far too much experience, power and panache for a Gaels side who were not able to cope with the occasion.

Conall Jones and Stephen McGullion grabbed the goals - the last one not coming until the 61st minute.

But this one-sided affair was well-sealed by then.

The first goal, which was the crucial score, was a penalty by Jones in the 38th minute.

Derrygonnelly corner-forward Gary McKenna went hurtling down in the square, but the contact looked to be minimal and a penalty seemed a harsh decision.

That score put them into a 1-05 to 0-02 lead and already it looked like a hill too high for the outgunned Gaels side

While Derrygonnelly Harps were deserving winners this was one of a number of decisions that went their way.

However, Enniskillen can have few complaints as they hit nine wides some fromvery scorable positions and time and again their inexperience saw them being repeatedly turned over in the tackle.

The opening quarter was a very nervy affair with both sides hitting a toral of eight wides.

Referee Barry Monghan was roundly booed by the Gaels fans for a few very questionable decisions that went the way of the reigning champions.

But the youthful Enniskillen Gaels side were being increasingly turned over and the champions finished the half the stronger side with two more points from the Jones brothers Garvan and Ryan to leave the Harps in front by 0-4 to 0-2 at the break.

Neither side would be happy with this turgid opener that saw them hit six wides apiece.

But the Harps were certainly the happier side by the first water break in the second half.

They had hit the vital penalty that sealed this matter, and the final quarter was a gentle run in for the champions.

The Gaels could only add three points in the second half as the Harps celebrated a special victory.

Derrygonnelly Harps: Jonathan McGurn; Aaron Jones, Tiarnan Daly, Michael Jones; Oisin Smyth, Declan Cassidy, Aidan McKenna; Stephen McGullion (1-00) Ryan Jones (0-02); Eamon McHugh, Garvan Jones (0-01f), Leigh Jones (0-01; Stephen Gilroy, Conall Jones (1-02, 1-00 pen, 0-01f), Gary McKenna (0-01f)

Subs used: Rian McGovern for Aaron Jones (50), Lee Jones for Aidan McKenna (50), Jack Tierney for James Ferguson (53), Gavin McGovern for Garvan Jones (57), Ronan McGovern for Gary McKenna (61)

Enniskilleen Gaels: Cian Newman; Neil Love, James Ferguson, Aaron Nolan; Conor McShea, Johnny Cassody, Paddy Reihill (0-01); Brandon Horan (0-01), Eoin Beacom; Conor Watson, Callum Jones (0-01), Conall Quinn; Conal Quinn; Conor Love (0-02f), Richard O’Callaghan, John Reihill.

Subs used: Ronan Beattie for Conal Quinn (h-t), Ciaran Smith for Stephen Gilroy (40), Conor Smith for Aaron Nolan (45), Ross Bogue for Johnny Cassidy (45), Conor Watson for Callum Jones (50)

Referee: Barry Monaghan