St Loman's, Mullingar 1-16 Garrycastle 1-12 (AET)

It needed extra-time to decide a pulsating replay of the Westmeath senior final in ideal conditions for football TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar, with St Loman's, Mullingar deservedly retaining their crown by a four-point margin.

There was very little between the teams in the first half. Early points from Shane Dempsey and Peter Foy edged the holders ahead before Alex Gardiner converted a 12th-minute free for Garrycastle.

Three minutes later, the same player scored a great goal after fielding Gary McCallon’s high delivery to the edge of the small square. Kevin Regan’s point left St Loman’s trailing by 1-02 to 0-03 at the first water break.

Gary Dolan’s charges failed to score in the second quarter. The nearest they came was in the 21st minute when James Dolan was thwarted from point-blank range by Jason Daly. This came moments after Foy’s thunderbolt 'goal’ at the other end had been disallowed for a thrown pass by Fola Ayorinde.

John Heslin had been quiet until the closing stages of the first half, but his converted free on the half-hour mark (the ball having been moved forward for dissent) was followed by an outrageous point from an acute angle. St Loman’s led by 0-07 to 1-02 at the interval.

The lively TJ Cox availed of loose Garrycastle defending to score a fine goal in the 36th minute to put his side four points clear. Garrycastle had a lot of possession at this juncture, but they were denied goals by fine goalkeeping by Daly.

The holders led by five points with just seven minutes of normal time remaining, but a late Gardiner-inspired rally left the challengers behind by the bare minimum with time almost up. Goalkeeper Sean Brennan kicked a superb ‘45’ with the last kick to leave the sides tied at 1-10 apiece.

Skipper Heslin came good in the first period of extra-time when he kicked three points from play. The impressive Dempsey scored two from play to bring his tally to five, and this left the Mullingar men ahead by 1-15 to 1-12 at half-time in extra-time.

Sub Ken Casey scored the only point of the second period, the former Offaly player copper-fastening a second consecutive Flanagan Cup win for his fellow-county man, Declan Kelly, who also guided the Faithful County to All-Ireland U20 glory a few months back.

St Loman's, Mullingar: J Daly; D Whelan, D O’Keeffe, P Dowdall; J Geoghegan, K Reilly, S Flanagan; K Regan (0-01), S McCartan (0-01); S Dempsey (0-05), R O’Toole (0-01), TJ Cox (1-00); F Ayorinde; J Heslin (0-06, 0-01 free), P Foy (0-01).

Subs: O Hogan for Whelan (18), K Casey (0-01) for Foy (56), P Foy for Regan (e/t, 7), C O’Donoghue for Dowdall (e/t, 15).

Garrycastle: S Brennan (0-01, 0-01 '45’); M McCallon, J Donohue, G McCallon; D Harte, J Gaffey (0-01), B Kelly; A Monaghan, J Barrett; T O’Halloran (0-01), E Mulvihill, E Monaghan (0-03); M Monaghan, A Gardiner (1-05, 0-04 frees, 0-01 mark), J Dolan.

Subs: J Nugent for M Monaghan (32), J Sheerin for Dolan (38), C Cosgrove for Kelly (47), C Mannion (0-01) for O’Halloran (52), A Kennedy for A Monaghan (e/t, h-t), T O’Halloran for Harte (e/t, h-t), J Dolan for Cosgrove (e/t, 16).

Referee: D Nugent (Maryland).