Ballinamore Sean O'Heslin's 1-16 Mohill 0-17

A 57th-minute Niall McGovern goal for Ballinamore enabled his side to win their first Leitrim senior county championship since 1990 after they dethroned champions, Mohill, in a rip-roaring encounter in Carrick-on-Shannon.

O'Heslin's got off to a good start with Luke Murphy (free) and Paddy Connaughton hitting over opening minute points. Mohill responded well with Jordan Reynolds and Keith Beirne getting similar scores over the next four minutes.

The Ballinamore men edged ahead again by the eight minute with points from Shane Moran and Luke Murphy (free). Keith Beirne kept Mohill in contention with point two minutes later.

Before the first water break pointed frees by Wayne McKeon for Ballinamore and Keith Beirne for Mohill had Ballinamore ahead by the minimum. After the restart Mohill's Jordan Reynolds fired over a point to level the game for a second time.

It was still level pegging by the thirtieth minute on 0-8 each after Keith Beirne converted a '45' and a free for Mohill with Keith Keegan and Sean Harkin putting over points, while Ballinamore with a Wayne McKeon converted free plus a point from play, as well as Michael McKiernan and Tom Prior who got a point apiece, made it an even Stephen encounter once more.

Then a Shane Quinn hit point in first half's added time put Mohill ahead by the minimum at the interval. After restart goalkeeper, Darren Maxwell made a goal-denying Ballinamore save and then a Wayne McKeon tapped over thirty-fourth minute free to put the O'Heslin's men back on level terms.

Mohill edged in to a three points lead over the next five minutes after Keith Beirne tapped over three frees in succession. Tom Prior answered with a fortieth minute Ballinamore point to keep his side in touch.

Mohill led by 0-14 to 0-13 at the second water break after an exchange of points at opposite ends by Mohill's Keith Beirne and Ballinamore's Shane Moran. Ballinamore upped their game after the restart and got on level terms with points from Senan Harte and then Wayne McKeon put them ahead.

Niall McGovern's well worked goal put Ballinamore in the driving seat but then Mohill then narrowed the gap to the minimum after Daniel Beck, Keith Beirne (free) and Keith Keegan hit over points. Ballinamore secured victory with a Dean McGovern point at the end.

Ballinamore Sean O'Heslin's: Darren Maxwell; Liam Ferguson, Óisin McCaffrey, Matthew Murphy; Patrick Connaughton (0-1), Keelan McHugh; Wayne McKeon (0-5(2f)); Shane Moran (0-3), Dean McGovern (1-0); Brian Banks, Mark McGrory, Michael McKiernan (0-1); Luke Murphy (0-3(3f)), Niall McGovern (0-1), Tom Prior (0-2).

Subs: Senan Harte (0-1) for McGrory (38); Cathal McHugh for Connaughton (52); Peter Reynolds for M. Murphy (57); Jack Cullen for L. Murphy (61).

Mohill: Padraig Tighe, David Mitchell, Alan Armstrong, Óisin Madden; James Mitchell, Shane Quinn (0-1), Daniel Beck (0-1); Keith Keegan (0-2), Domhnaill Flynn; Evan Harkin, Keith Beirne (0-8(4f)), Seán Harkin (0-1); Alan McLoughlin, Ronan Kennedy, Jordon Reynolds (0-2) .

Subs: Fiachra McGuinness for Kennedy (39); Caillin Canning for McLoughlin (52); Ronan Gordon for E. Harkin (60);

Referee: Gareth Foley (Melvin Gaels).