Mt Leinster Rangers 0-24 St Mullins 0-16

Mount Leinster Rangers retained their Carlow senior hurling championship title at Netwatch Cullen Park on Sunday.

They produced an immense first half display scoring 0-17 with all of the scores coming from play.

The Nolan brothers, Chris and Jon, proved to be unmarkable in that opening half where Chris opened the scoring and Jon followed up immediately afterwards. In the first half they both scored 0-05 each while they were involved in a lot of what was good for their side.

Marty Kavanagh replied for St Mullins on five minutes when he made space for himself and slotted a lovely point. He added a free on 13 minutes but in the meantime Rangers had tacked on further points through Jon Nolan (2), Eddie Byrne and Tony Lawlor.

Chris Nolan fires a point with Paul Doyle attempting to get a block in

Every time, St Mullins looked set to get into the game the door was slammed shut on them as Rangers moved it up a gear. All the winners starting forwards scored in the opening half and their 0-17 to 0-07 lead at the break was earned and well-deserved.

In that opening half, they created two goal chances but Denis Murphy had to settle for a point in the second quarter while Jon Nolan was cleverly hooked when set to pull the trigger.

St Mullins looked as if they were going to get back into the contest when Kavanagh and Oisin Ryan pointed in the first minute of the second half. It wasn't to be. Chris Nolan settled Rangers with a point and while Jason O’Neill and Kavanagh cancelled that effort out for St Mullins the title-holders hit four on the trot.

That slammed the door on St Mullins. The losers did battle to the end with James Doyle being denied late on by a smart save from Dean Grennan.

In fact, Diarmuid Byrne failed to find the target with his penalty attempt for Rangers late on but that will hardly be discussed at any length when the Rangers management team sit down to look at the video and the match statistics.

Perhaps the fourteen wides they registered will be a concern but after that they will have little to quibble with.

Mount Leinster Rangers: Dean Grennan; Gary Kelly, David Phelan, Michael Doyle; Gary Lawlor (0-01), Diarmuid Byrne, Richard Kelly; Paul Coady, Fiachra Fitzpatrick (0-02); Tony Lawlor, Eddie Byrne (0-04), Kevin McDonald (0-01); Denis Murphy (0-04 1f), Chris Nolan (0-07), Jon Nolan (0-05).

Subs: Ted Joyce for R. Kelly (46), Ciaran Kavanagh for T. Lawlor (52), Jack Ryan for G. Lawlor (57), Richard Coady for Coady (59), Darragh O’Toole for J. Nolan (61)

St Mullins: Kevin Kehoe; Gary Bennett, Paul Doyle, Cathal Connolly; Michael Walsh, Ger Coady, Paidi O’Shea (0-02); Paudie Kehoe, Oisin Boland; James Doyle (0-01), John Doran, Jack Kavanagh (0-1); Oisin Ryan (0-02), Marty Kavanagh (0-08 4f), Paddy Boland.

Subs: Conor Kehoe (0-1) for Doran (21), Jason O’Neill (0-1) for O. Boland (h/t), Seamus Murphy for P. Boland (36), Patrick Walsh for J. Kavanagh (55).

Referee: John Hickey (Fenagh).