Cork retained the EirGrid All-Ireland U-20 crown they won just last month when they proved far too strong for Galway in Thurles as they ran out deserving 4-19 to 2-14 winners.

It gets their hopes of completing an All-Ireland treble this week off to the best possible start as a powerful performance delivered their 13th crown in the grade.

Cork dominated the opening half and would have been even more than 2-09 to 0-05 ahead at the break had they not shot 13 wides by the break.

Padraig Power of Cork in action against Seán Neary of Galway

But they were in charge from the outset and led by 1-04 to 0-00 after ten minutes with Darragh Flynn firing home a penalty to get them off the mark after three minutes after Galway goalkeeper Paddy Rabbitte was penalised for fouling Jack Cahalane.

Cork were dominant in most positions and reeled off five points before Donal O'Shea got Galway off the mark with a free after 14 minutes. He followed with another free directly afterwards but then Galway failed to clear their lines and Cahalane pounced to bat the ball home to lead by 2-05 to 0-02 at the first water break.

O’Shea’s third pointed free reduced the margin but Cork’s Padraig Power took his haul to three points with two rapid efforts and when Greg Thomas pulled back a point for Galway, Daniel Hogan responded to make it 2-08 to 0-04 after 25 minutes.

Robbie Cotter and O’Shea swapped points and it took a superb save from Galway goalkeeper Rabbitte to deny Hogan a third Cork goal as the Rebels went in leading by 2-09 to 0-05 at the interval.

The gap would have been much bigger had Cork not shot 13 wides, although Galway were also wasteful from less possession and hit half a dozen wides.

Galway, looking for their first title in the grade since 2011 and having won six minor titles in that time, made a very good start to the second-half. John Cooney got them rolling with a point and two more frees from O’Shea gave one from play from Sean McDonagh cut the margin to 2-09 to 0-09 after 35 minutes and the Galway fans began get hope.

Then they cut the gap to three when O’Shea turned and got in for a goal for Galway after 37 minutes but almost immediately Cork struck for their third goal with Power blasting home after being set up by Brian Hayes.

Sean McDonagh and Ben Cunningham, son of former Cork goalkeeper Ger, exchanged points for the Rebels to lead by 3-10 to 1-10 after 42 minutes and there were six between them at the second water break when Flynn and Sean McDonagh swapped scores.

But Cork took over from there.

Gavin Lee and O’Shea managed points for Galway but Cork took control and reeled off seven and they sealed the win when Hayes fired home after being set up by Cunningham before Alex Connaire had a late consolation goal for Galway.

Cork: Cathal Wilson; Eoin Downey, Ethan Twomey, Cormac O'Brien; Kevin Moynihan, Ciaran Joyce, Brian O'Sullivan; Sam Quirke (0-01), Diarmuid Kearney; Jack Cahalane (1-01), Darragh Flynn (1-05, 1-0pen, 4f), Brian Hayes (1-02); Robbie Cotter (0-01), Padraig Power (1-05), Daniel Hogan (0-1).

Subs: Ben Cunningham (0-02) for Kearney (39), Luke Horgan (0-01) for Cotter (48), Micheal Mullins for Hogan (55), Cillian O'Donovan for Moynihan (57), Colm McCarthy for Quirke (59).

Galway: Paddy Rabbitte; Eoin Lawless, Eoghan Geraghty, Christy Brennan; Shane Quirke, Sean Neary, Evan Duggan; Ian McGlynn, Diarmuid Kilcommins; Greg Thomas (0-01), Niall Collins, John Cooney (0-01); Sean McDonagh (0-03, 1’sl), Donal O’Shea (1-07, 7f), Oisin Flannery

Subs: Jason O’Donoghue for McGlynn (29), Gavin Lee (0-02) for N Collins (ht), Liam Collins for Flannery (45), Oisin Salmon for Duggan (47), Alex Connaire (1-00) for Thomas (47).

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).