Tyrone held on for a one point win and a first Ulster SFC title since 2017, beating Monaghan by a point in a cliffhanger final at Croke Park.

Tyrone led by 0-11 to 0-6 at the break, but Monaghan came roaring back to go to within a single point in a thrilling decider that delivered in suspense and excitement what it may have lacked in quality.

Conor McManus and Rory Beggan led the Farney revival, but the Red Hands succeeded in taking the heat out of the Monaghan frenzy with a possession game in the closing stages as they played a risky but ultimately successful game.

Mark Bradley, a pre-match replacement for Tiarnan McCann, slotted over the opening point, with Mattie Donnelly adding a couple of scores for the Red Hands, but Monaghan had points from Killian Lavelle and Conor McManus in those tense early stages.

Rory Beggan's accurate kick-outs were the launch-pad for Farney attacks, with Jack McCarron angling over the levelling score in the 14th minute.

But Tyrone responded with three in a row, skipper Padraig Hampsey getting forward to slice over a gem, with Niall Sludden also slotting over a stylish score.

McManus threaded the perfect pass for full forward McCarron to nail his second, but Kieran McGeary's long range effort gave Tyrone a 0-6 to 0-4 lead at the water break.

But chief threats McManus and McCarron found themselves pushed wide by Tyrone’s tenacious defensive approach, shooting from difficult positions as they allowed opportunities to slip.

The Red Hands had no such problems as they worked the ball smartly for McKernan, McCurry and Bradley to slot over points, while Donnelly wrong-footed his marker with a delightful dummy to angle over his third.

Monaghan managed just one score, a Conor McCarthy effort, in the closing 15 minutes of the half, and left themselves with a lot of work to do, trailing by 0-11 to 0-6 at the end of a mediocre first half.

But they wasted no time in cutting back the deficit, McCarthy hitting the target, before Beggan drove over a monster free from all of 55 metres.

Banty’s half-time team-talk, along with a couple of changes which saw experience pair Colin Walshe and Niall Kearns joint the action, worked the oracle as they continued to chip away with three McManus free kicks.

Now the gap was down to a single point and Tyrone were rattled. Beggan almost had a point from play as well, and was only denied by HawkEye.

Monaghan’s waves of attack were overwhelming a Tyrone side that looked shell-shocked, and even the 46th minute introduction of Cathal McShane wasn’t enough to inspire them.

McCarron claimed a mark for the 49th minute equaliser, and the Red Hands desperately needed to find a way to turn the tide.

Mattie Donnelly dropped deep in a bid to re-ignite a side that was just a shadow of its first half image, and McShane lifted spirits with a point.

Tyrone were clinging on to their slender 0-13 to 0-12 lead at the second drinks break.

The Red Hands took the heat out of the game by slowing it down with a possession game, and crafted the opening for Peter Harte to extend their lead, before McCurry added another free, as well as a mark.

But Monaghan were far from finished, with Conor Boyle, Kieran Duffy and McManus keeping them within a point.

But they were starved of the ball when they needed it most as the Red Hands moved it around with remarkable composure to play down the clock.

Tyrone: N Morgan: M McKernan (0-01), R McNamee, P Hampsey (0-01); N Sludden (0-01), K McGeary (0-01), P Harte (0-01); B Kennedy, C Kilpatrick; M O’Neill, C McKenna, C Meyler; D McCurry (0-05, 2f, 1 mark), M Donnelly (0-03, 1f), M Bradley (0-02).

Subs: N Kelly for O’Neill (17), C McShane (0-01) for Kennedy (46), D Canavan for Kilpatrick (54), R O’Neill for Bradley (65)

Monaghan: R Beggan (0-02, 2f); K Duffy (0-01), C Boyle (0-01), R Wylie; K O’Connell, D Ward, R McAnespie; D Hughes, K Lavelle (0-01); S O’Hanlon, A Mulligan, M Bannigan; C McCarthy (0-02), J McCarron (0-03, 1mark), C McManus (0-05, 4f).

Subs: S Carey for Mulligan (30), C Walshe for O’Connell (h-t), N Kearns for Hughes (h-t), K Hughes for O’Hanlon (54), A Woods for McCarthy (62)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).