Tipperary came good in the second half of extra time to see off a game Waterford challenge in the Munster Under-20 hurling quarter final at Semple Stadium.

Two goals in a scrappy first half gave Tipperary, beaten finalists last year, the momentum.

Paddy Creedon deflected a Max Hackett delivery to the Waterford net after only five seconds and they led 1-02 to 0-02 at the water break.

The hosts were 1-05 to 0-03 ahead in stoppage time when Creedon set up Sean Hayes for Tipp's second goal and an eight-point half-time lead.

A Michael Kiely goal for Waterford in the 35th minute got them moving and they cut the deficit to four points, 1-11 to 2-12, by the second water break.

The Premier were still four points clear going into injury time when a dramatic Waterford rally yielded appoint from Reuben Halloran and a late goal from Sean Walsh to send the game into extra-time.

The visitors, with Michael Kiely to the fore, pulled four points clear approaching the break in extra time but a John Leamy goal and a Devon Ryan point levelled for Tipp.

There was only one team in it in the second half of extra time as Tipperary outpointed their rivals, seven to one, to clinch a semi-final spot against All-Ireland champions Cork.

Tipp’s substitutions made a big impact with Devon Ryan and John Leamy excelling when introduced. Max Hackett, Kevin Maher, Kian O Kelly and Paddy Creedon were also to the fore.

Michael Kiely, Gavin Fives, Cian Wadding and Kevin Mahoney were Waterford’s key men.

Elsewhere, Clare had 11 points to spare over Kerry in tonight's other quarter-final and will face Limerick in the semi-finals next Monday.

The Banner were cruising at half-time in Tralee and led 2-15 to 0-05 after goals from Oisin O'Donnell and Shane Punch.

The Kingdom restricted the visitors to just five points in the second half however - two in the final quarter - as Clare won 2-20 to 0-15.

Tipperary: E Dunphy; C O Dwyer, K Ryan, F Purcell; C Whelan, K Maher, J Ryan; M Hackett (0-3), J Campion; D Stakelum, S Hayes (1-2), K O Kelly (0-5); C Fogarty (0-2), P Creedon (1-2), J Devaney (0-3).

Subs: J Leamy (1-1) for Fogarty; D Ryan (0-5) for Kelly; M O Shea for Devaney; P McGarry for Campion; Devaney for Stakelum; T Cahill (0-1) for Hackett; C Fogarty for O Shea.

Waterford: D Beecher; C Daly, R Furlong, S Fitzgerald; M Fitzgerald, C Wadding, R Power; G Fives (0-1), P Leevey (0-1); J Power, K Mahoney (0-9), R Halloran(0-3), J Booth, M Kiely(1-3), T Flynn (0-1).

Subs: J Burke (0-2) for Booth; J Foley for Flynn; R Tierney for R Power; S Walsh (1-1), for Leevey; Leevey for J Power; S Burke for Fives; P J Fanning for S Fitzgerald.

Referee: N Wall (Cork)