Galway created history as they became the first county to win the All-Ireland minor hurling title four years in a row when they edged out Kilkenny in a thriller.

Kilkenny recovered from a slow start and hit the front for the first time in what was the delayed 2020 decider with just four minutes remaining.

But the champions didn’t panic and after the sides twice exchanged points in the dying seconds, man of the match Liam Collins won it for Galway deep into stoppage time when he flicked home a goal.

Galway used the wind well in the opening half and raced into a 0-07 to 0-00 lead after just 11 minutes with Liam Collins leading the way.

The Cappataggle clubman shot five points in a blistering start, two of them from play, two frees and a '65 as the champions took the game to Kilkenny.

Colm Molloy also landed two good points from play and Galway could have been out of sight had they made the most of a couple of goal chances.

Billy Drennan finally got Kilkenny off the mark after 16 minutes with a free and he added another after Collins had pointed his second ’65.

Drennan, with a ’65, and Ruben Davitt exchanged points before Denis Walsh and Killian Doyle gave the Cats hope with a couple of quick points.

Midfielder Liam Leen extended Galway’s lead but Drennan cut the gap to 0-10 to 0-6 at the break with a point from play after moving into full-forward.

Colm Molloy of Galway in action against Zach Bay Hammond of Kilkenny

Gavin Lee pointed for Galway shortly after the restart but Kilkenny took over and hit the next three points, with wing-back Joe Fitzpatrick hitting two of them either side of a point by Harry Shine.

Galway midfielder Kieran Hanrahan hit back with a point from the left wing but two more pointed frees from Drennan cut the gap to 0-12 to 0-11 after 39 minutes.

Diarmuid Davoren and Greg Thomas pushed Galway three clear in the final quarter but then Drennan drew Kilkenny level after 53 minutes when he blasted home a penalty after sub Killian Carey was fouled.

Cathal Beirne edged Kilkenny in front for the first time with a superb point from the left wing but Molloy cancelled with an equally fine point at the other end.

Walsh restored Killenny's lead as the game slipped into four minutes of injury-time and extra-time seemed likely when Gavin Lee levelled after a run by Davoren.

Then the impressive Liam Leen broke away, sub Darren Shaugnnessy bore down on goal and his pass inside was flicked to the net by Collins to secure their 14th All-Ireland minor title.

Liam Collins of Galway with the Man of the Match award

Galway: Darragh Walsh; Shane Morgan, Adam Nolan, Michael Walsh; Sean O’Hanlon, Tiernan Killeen, Patrick Burke; Liam Leen (0-01), Kieran Hanrahan (0-01); Gavin Lee (0-02), Ruben Davitt (0-01), Ronan Killilea; Liam Collins (1-07, 0-03f, 0-02 ’65), Greg Thomas (0-01), Colm Molloy (0-03).

Subs: Diarmuid Davoren (0-01) for Killilea (41), Darren Shaughnessy for Davitt (54), Tiernan Leen for M Walsh (58), Conor Slettery for Collins (64).

Kilkenny: Brian Minogue; Zach Bay Hammond, Niall Rowe, Mark Donnelly; Joe Fitzpatrick (0-02), Gearoid Dunne, Cathal Beirne (0-01); Killian Doyle (0-01), Billy Reid, Billy Drennan (1-06, 1-00 pen, 0-04f, 0-01 ’65), Timmy Clifford, Denis Walsh (0-02), Harry Shine (0-01), Ted Dunne (0-01), Eoin O'Brien.

Subs: Killian Carey for O’Brien (50).

Referee: Sean Stack (Dublin)