Galway manager Padraic Joyce was pleased with his side's 2-11 to 0-12 victory over Roscommon at Hyde Park, but admitted that they could stand to be more clinical in front of goal.

Joyce’s side booked their place in the Connacht final with goals from Mattie Tierney and Paul Kelly proving to be the difference between the two sides.

The Tribesmen never appeared to be in danger of losing but Joyce will be concerned by some of their wastefulness in front of goal.

"I’m just delighted to get the Championship victory," he told RTÉ Sport after the game. "It’s our second match as management in Championship and it’s great to get the win.

"We didn’t expect anything less than a hard battle from Roscommon and that’s what they gave us.

"We were probably in control of the game for a lot of periods which is satisfying but we just didn’t finish the game out as early as we thought.

"But look that’s Championship and you know coming to Hyde Park there’s nothing going to be soft so we’re delighted to get out of it."

Despite controlling the play for large periods of the first-half, Galway were only a point to the good at the break, having hit some pretty ugly wides.

While Joyce’s side did manage to pull away in the second-half, the manager revealed concerns that they didn’t always make their dominance on the field count on the scoreboard.

"We were probably much the better side in the first half but we just didn’t push out," he said.

"Roscommon got some great scores just before half-time and in the second-half we came out and were always there, we were two or three points up but had a load of chances to go four or five up.

"We had a free-in down there and the ball ended up getting hopped which is a bit stupid on our part.

"But eventually we got to four or five up and Mattie got the goal so that gave us a cushion to see out the game."

Roscommon manager Anthony Cunningham, meanwhile, felt that his side gave a good account of themselves but just lost out in a game that was played in tricky conditions.

"We’re disappointed. There wasn’t a whole pile in it, Galway were slightly better, they took their chances," said Cunningham, speaking to RTÉ Sport after the game.

"We were disappointed with the concession of the first goal. We pegged them back really well and got back into the groove, and then to give away a late goal was hard to take.

"It was 13 scores versus 12 and that sums up how close it was."

Cunningham felt that both sides were guilty of hitting too many wides and pondered some of the things that his side could have done to get them into the provincial final.

"We probably would have had more chances if we ran at Galway a little bit more, and maybe we didn’t take as much as we should have.

"And we should have been more careful with the ball and got closer to the goal because it was very hard to put that wet ball over the bar with slippy conditions underneath."