Dublin are back in the Leinster SHC final for the first time since 2014 after a terrific Croke Park performance, powering past All-Ireland hopefuls Galway 1-18 to 1-14.

In what will go down as Dublin's first win over top-ranked opposition since beating the Tribesmen in 2019, the 2013 champions surprisingly led from start to finish to secure a 17 July final place.

Chris Crummey fired the crucial second-half goal for Dublin but this was a win for the collective, with Mattie Kenny's men delivering in spades all over the field.

From goalkeeper Alan Nolan, who pulled off a string of saves, to midfielder and man of the match Conor Burke, to captain Danny Sutcliffe who struck three important second-half points, it was a landmark win for Dublin.

Defender James Madden played a huge role too, lining out despite the recent passing of his father Noel earlier this week.

Cian O'Sullivan opened the scoring after nine minutes and Dublin led from there on, taking a two-point lead at half-time and doubling that by full-time.

Galway were surprisingly wasteful, blasting 14 wides, with talisman Joe Canning shooting six of those.

Canning returned to the Galway team after missing their last league game with a mixture of thumb and rib injuries.

He was a central figure early on, rotating throughout the forward line and occupying three different positions in the first five minutes alone though little worked out for him.

Alan Nolan makes an early save from Joe Canning

During that period he was involved in no less than three goal chances though failed to capitalise with any of them.

Canning went for goal with a second minute free though that was blocked, like his shot in open play soon after, and it was the Portumna man that played a quick free to Conor Cooney for a fifth minute goal effort that was blocked again by Alan Nolan.

Nothing went right for Galway in the opening quarter and Canning racked up four consecutive wides in that period, three from placed balls as Dublin hit the water break with a 0-04 to 0-01 lead.

Dublin were more efficient and content to pick off points from distance, Daire Gray, O'Sullivan and Rian McBride all on the mark.

Another trademark Gray point from long range on the left, followed by a Conor Burke score, left Dublin 0-06 to 0-01 clear after 20 minutes.

8,000 fans were allowed into Croke Park for the Leinster semi-finals

Canning ended the half with five wides though did find his range for long enough to convert three points in a row and another from Conor Whelan hauled Galway back into it.

Joseph Cooney had Galway's fourth goal attempt of the half before the break, Nolan once again coming to Dublin's rescue to leave the Sky Blues 0-08 to 0-06 ahead.

The second half panned out upon similar lines; Dublin starting the brighter, Galway eventually gaining a foothold and the Dubs ultimately finishing on top.

Few expected that outcome beforehand though Dublin deserved it and were far more efficient when it counted, sending Galway tumbling into the qualifiers.

Dublin stretched their lead to five during the third quarter with Ronan Hayes among the scorers and opening his account for the afternoon.

Former All-Star Sutcliffe then struck his first and second points and Dublin led 0-13 to 0-08 with 43 minutes played.

Kenny's side were within touching distance of a memorable win when they were rocked by a Galway goal.

Whelan, off-colour in general like Canning, burst into life when he gathered up a low ball in from the left, burst beyond Paddy Smyth and struck low to the Dublin net.

It was a rare spark of genius from Galway and Dublin hit the throttle again and finished strongly despite losing full-back Eoghan O'Donnell to an apparent hamstring injury.

Hayes, Donal Burke and Sutcliffe all registered important scores on the run-in to seal what will go down as a huge win for the capital.

Dublin: Alan Nolan (0-01, 0-01f); Cian O'Callaghan, Eoghan O'Donnell, Paddy Smyth; James Madden, Liam Rushe, Daire Gray (0-02); Rian McBride (0-01), Conor Burke (0-01); Donal Burke (0-06, 0-04f), Chris Crummey (1-00), Danny Sutcliffe (0-03); Cian Boland (0-01), Ronan Hayes (0-02), Cian O'Sullivan (0-01).

Subs: Mark Schutte for Boland (30-ft, blood), Oisin O'Rorke for O'Sullivan (52), Andrew Dunphy for O'Donnell (58), Jake Malone for Madden (68), Paul Crummey for C Crummey (72), Fergal Whitely for Hayes (75).

Galway: Eanna Murphy; Shane Cooney, Gearoid McInerney, Darren Morrissey; Padraic Mannion (0-01), Daithi Burke, Fintan Burke; Sean Loftus, Cathal Mannion (0-01); Conor Cooney (0-01), Joe Canning (0-06, 0-04f, 0-01 65), Adrian Tuohey; Conor Whelan (1-02), Joseph Cooney, Brian Concannon.

Subs: David Burke for Tuohey (34), Evan Niland (0-02, 0-01f) for Loftus (ht), Aidan Harte (0-01) for S Cooney (56-60, blood),TJ Brennan for F Burke (58), Harte for J Cooney (61), Niall Burke for C Cooney (67).

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).