Dominant Derry cruised to a 12-point victory over Offaly at Croke Park, capping promotion from Division 3 of the Allianz Football League with the title outright.

In what will be the only league final played in 2021, Rory Gallagher's side cruised to a comfortable win in front of 2,400 fans who were dispersed throughout the upper and lower decks of the Cusack Stand at Croke Park.

Shane McGuigan struck 0-07 for Derry though it was a strong team performance from the northern outfit with all of the midfielders and forwards getting on the scoresheet.

Gareth McKinless was terrific for Derry in the half-back line while Conor Glass provided a strong platform at midfield.

It leaves Derry in a strong position ahead of their Ulster SFC opener with Down or Donegal on July 11.

But Offaly find themselves in a difficult spot just eight days before they travel to Navan to play Mickey Harte's Louth in the Leinster Championship.

They were well beaten and aside from Eoin Carroll's goal late in the first half, they scored just one point from play.

Late in the first half the Offaly management and players surely wondered why exactly they pushed so hard for this final to go ahead.

They trailed by six points, 0-09 to 0-03, in first-half stoppage time with all three of the Faithful's points coming from Cian Farrell placed ball conversions.

Derry were entirely on top with seven of their first eight points coming from placed balls as they overwhelmed Offaly and forced them into free concessions.

McKinless bombed forward from defence and won two frees that McGuigan and Niall Loughlin converted.

Conor Doherty, Ethan Doherty and Loughlin won frees that were converted too while Derry went close with a series of goal chances.

Loughlin had the ball in the net in the third minute but McKinless overcarried in the build-up, powerful Glass punched a shot onto the post in the 15th minute and McGuigan had a shot saved by the 'keeper in the 22nd minute.

With Glass and Bradley dominant at midfield and Loughlin, McGuigan and Benny Heron on top up front, it looked like Derry might run away with it.

But they were rocked by the concession of a goal just before half time with veteran Offaly sub Niall McNamee playing a key role.

It was the Rhode great's clever reverse pass over his own shoulder that opened up the space for cousin Ruairi McNamee to run into and tee up Carroll for a palmed goal.

It meant Derry led by just 0-10 to 1-03 at half-time when they would have been good value for a much more sizeable advantage.

The umpire raised his green flag but referee Sean Lonergan ruled out this Derry effort

Niall McNamee continued to impress after the restart, claiming a mark that he converted and setting up Jordan Hayes for a 43rd minute point, Offaly's first from open play.

Derry points from Oisin McWilliams, Glass and Ethan Doherty kept them in pole position though and McGuigan was frustrated to be denied a 52nd minute goal for overcarrying.

Derry led 0-14 to 1-05 at the second water break and finished the game strongly, scoring the last seven points with subs Niall Toner and Jack Doherty splitting the posts at the Davin End.

Doherty won a stoppage time penalty when he was hauled down by Offaly goalkeeper Paddy Dunican but Derry couldn't capitalise.

Peter Cunningham, who replaced the black carded Dunican, denied McGuigan from the spot but it was little consolation overall.

Derry: Oran Lynch; Conor McCluskey, Christopher McKaigue (0-01), Padraig McGrogan; Conor Doherty, Gareth McKinless, Padraig Cassidy; Conor Glass (0-01), Emmett Bradley (0-01); Ethan Doherty (0-02), Niall Loughlin (0-04, 0-03f), Ciaran McFaul (0-01); Benny Heron (0-01), Shane McGuigan (0-07, 0-05f, 0-01 s-l), Oisin McWilliams (0-01).

Subs: Paul Cassidy for McWilliams (41), Niall Toner (0-01) for Heron (57), Jack Doherty (0-01) for Conor Doherty (68); Karl McKaigue for Bradley (72), Ben McCarron for Ethan Doherty (72).

Offaly: Paddy Dunican; James Lawlor, Eoin Rigney, Carl Stewart; Colm Doyle, Niall Darby, Jordan Hayes (0-01); Eoin Carroll (1-00), Peter Cunningham; Shane Horan, David Dempsey, Anton Sullivan; Bernard Allen, Cian Farrell (0-04, 0-03f, 0-01m), Ruairi McNamee.

Subs: Niall McNamee (0-01, 0-01m) for Allen (26), Cathal Mangan for Lalor (ht), Aaron Leavy for Carroll (47), Bill Carroll for Horan (47), Cian Donohoe for Hayes (53), Joe Maher for R McNamee (53), Johnny Moloney for Sullivan (60).

Referee: Sean Lonergan (Tipperary).