Wexford maintained their recent good form against Dublin with a four-point win in blistering June sunshine at Chadwicks Wexford Park on Saturday.

Since Davy Fitzgerald arrived in late 2016 the Yellowbellies haven't been beaten by their Leinster rivals and that record continued despite a mini-revival from the Blues - thanks to a Donal Burke penalty - in the second half.

There was one worrying aspect for Fitzgerald just two weeks out from championship as corner-backs Simon Donoghue - who was withdrawn shortly before throw-in - and Shane Reck both took knocks. But he result sees the Slaneysiders finish the league second in 1B behind Leinster champions Kilkenny.

The opening quarter of an hour was close as the hosts led on three occasions but went to the water break a point down.

A Mark Fanning free - the first of three in the first half - opened the day’s scoring, before Cian O’Callaghan had the first score from play.

Lee Chin and Donal Burke exchanged frees, before Dublin took the lead for the first time in the fifth minute through Daire Gray, who collected a breaking ball before firing over from out right.

The score of that early period went to Paul Morris after a lovely popped hand-pass by Conor McDonald put the Ferns man in space and he duly put the ball over the bar.

Dublin would outscore their opponents over the next six minutes to lead by a point - Danny Sutcliffe had grown into the game by that stage knocking over two fine points from out left.

Lee Chin beats Dublin duo Andrew Dunphy and Cian O'Callaghan in the air

But then Dublin’s scoring touch deserted them as they managed just one more point before the break among six wides. Things weren’t clicking for Mattie Kenny’s charges and when Ronan Hayes did well to cut in from the left, his eventual attempted pass for Davy Keogh just had too much air on it.

Wexford made hay, with Chin’s lead point on 20 minutes the pick of the bunch as he bounced off at least two Blues before smashing the sliotar over the bar.

The Faythe Harriers man also landed three frees in that period, to go with efforts from Rory O’Connor and Morris to leave seven between them at half-time.

Dublin had the first two scores of the second half but Wexford didn’t look troubled as a brace of Chin efforts kept the scoreboard ticking over. Rory O’Connor put one over in from under the stand and a beauty from Morris from a tight angle on the other side of the park stretched the lead to six with 20 minutes to go.

Then Dublin were handed a lifeline. Riain McBride was taken down as he attempted to burst through on goal. The tackle from Aidan Nolan was sloppy and he was sent to the sin bin.

Burke struck the penalty low and right past Fanning to leave the gap at three.

It all got a bit scrappy then as both sides missed chances - Burke going wide and then short with two quick-fire frees.

At the other end Nolan resumed and promptly stretched Wexford’s lead to four. It was five moments later after Mike Dwyer found space and pointed from under the main stand.

Dublin looked overly dependent upon Burke at that stage and the lack of options was reflected in the fact that other than Oisín O’Rourke’s free deep into added time, Jake Malone’s 47th-minute point was the last score by another player for them.

For Wexford, who saw substitutes Dwyer and Conor Devitt score late on, it’s a first win since they beat Clare, with Laois to come in the Leinster SHC quarter-final in two weeks.

Wexford: Mark Fanning (0-04, 4f); Shane Reck, Liam Ryan, Conal Flood; Joe O'Connor, Gavin Bailey, Shaun Murphy; Diarmuid O'Keefe (0-01), Liam Og McGovern; Rory O'Connor (0-03), Conor McDonald (0-01), Paul Morris (0-03); Lee Chin (0-10, 7f), Jack O'Connor, Kevin Foley.

Subs: Conor Firman for Reck (23), Aidan Nolan (0-01) for Foley (ht), Mike Dwyer (0-01) for Jack O'Connor (45), Conor Devitt (0-01) for Joe O'Connor (55), Harry Kehoe for Bailey (65).

Dublin: Seán Brennan; James Madden, Eoghan O'Donnell, Cian O'Callaghan (0-01); Daire Gray (0-01), Liam Rushe, Conor Burke; Riain McBride, Donal Burke (1-10, 1-00 pen, 9f); Danny Sutcliffe (0-02), Chris Crummey, Mark Schutte; Cian Boland (0-01), Ronan Hayes, Davy Keogh.

Subs: Fergal Whitely for (0-01) for Schutte (36), Jake Malone (0-01) for Chris Crummey (ht), Paddy Smyth for Davy Keogh (42), Paul Crummey for Schutte (64), Oisín O'Rourke (0-01,1f) for Keogh (70).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork).