Two goals from Brian Concannon and one apiece from Joe Canning and Adrian Tuohey helped Galway ease past Waterford in a high-scoring encounter at Pearse Stadium.

Waterford led by seven points at one stage in the opening half but turned around trailing by 3-13 to 2-12 after Galway got on top in the second quarter after Cathal Mannion came out to midfield.

Nine players scored for each side and Galway shot 15 wides to eleven for Waterford in a game where it was difficult to keep track of the scores.

Galway opted to play against the wind and Waterford made the most of it initially with Calum Lyons, who finished with five points from play, superb at wing-back and the three Bennett brothers showing up well in attack.

Jack Prendergast gave them a perfect start when he found the net after two minutes having being put through by Shane Bennett. That helped them lead by 1-09 to 0-05 after 21 minutes.

Cathal Mannion gets the sliotar away under pressure from Shane Fives

Galway hit back with a goal from Adrian Tuohey after 24 minutes after a pass from Brian Concannon but then the three Bennetts combined with Shane supplying the finishing touch to the net with a drop shot seven minutes from the break and a point from Dessie Hutchinson pushed them 2-11 to 1-08 ahead.

But the Tribesmen finished the half strongly with Joe Canning blasting to the net after being set up by Cathal Mannion and Concannon three minutes from half-time.

And Concannon then found the net after Waterford goalkeeper Shaun O'Brien had done well to save from Conor Cooney to lead for the first time in the game. He then quickly landed a point and Canning took his opening half haul to 1-06 to lead by four at the break.

Hutchinson got the score of the game when he blasted to the top right corner after a pass from Montgomery two minutes after the restart but the points kept coming from Galway through the likes of Canning, Cathal Mannion and Conor Whelan to lead by 3-22 to 3-16 after 53 minutes.

Jack Prendergast scored Waterford's first goal

Hutchinson caused the Galway defence a lot of difficulty but they couldn’t get in for any other goals and they closest they got was when they reduced the margin to five points after 56 minutes.

Whelan, who finished with six points from play, and Conor Cooney pushed the lead out to seven before Galway, who hadn’t found the net in their last two matches against Tipperary and Limerick, struck for their fourth goal. Whelan disposed Austin Gleeson after a short puckout and Canning flicked the ball through for Concannon to get his second goal.

Galway pushed on from there and sub Evan Niland, who scored 14 frees in their last home win against Limerick, struck four from play after coming on as Shane O’Neill’s men chalked up their third win of the campaign.

Galway: Eanna Murphy; Shane Cooney, Gearoid McInerney, Darren Morrissey; Padraic Mannion, Daithi Burke (0-01), Fintan Burke; Johnny Coen, Sean Loftus (0-02); Adrian Tuohy (1-00), Cathal Mannion (0-02), Joe Canning (1-08, 4f, 1 sideline); Conor Whelan (0-06), Conor Cooney (0-03), Brian Concannon (2-02).

Subs: Evan Niland (0-04) for Coen (30), Aidan Harte for S Cooney (35+3), Jack Fitzpatrick for Harte (38), Joseph Cooney for Tuohey (49), TJ Brennan for Burke (61), Sean Linnane for Loftus (61), Kevin Cooney for Canning (64), Conor Walsh for Fitzpatrick (70+2)

Waterford: Shaun O'Brien, Shane McNulty, Conor Prunty, Conor Gleeson; Calum Lyons (0-05), Austin Gleeson, Seamus Keating; Jamie Barron (0-01), Jake Dillon; Neil Montgomery (0-01), Jack Prendergast (1-02), Kieran Bennett (0-01); Dessie Hutchinson (1-03), Shane Bennett (1-01), Stephen Bennett (0-08, 6f, 1 ’65).

Subs: Jack Fagan for Montgomery (50), Darragh Lyons for Dillon (53), Patrick Curran (0-01) for S Bennett (53), Kevin Moran for Gleeson (58), Billy Power for K Bennett (58), Shane Fives for Keating (67)

Referee: Fergal Horgan (Tipperary).