Tyrone fired up their NFL Division One title challenge with a five points win over Armagh at the Athletic Grounds.

A missed penalty proved costly to the Orchard as they slipped to defeat in a typically feisty derby clash.

Peter Harte and Mark Bradley grabbed the Tyrone goals in each half, and the Red Hands finished strongly to pick up their first points of the campaign.

Tyrone, with four changes from the defeat to Donegal, edged ahead with scores from Darren McCurry and Paul Donaghy.

It was McCurry who provided the assist for wing back Peter Harte to arrive at pace and smash home a ninth minute goal to put the Red Hands firmly in control at 1-03 to 0-01.

But the Orchard men got themselves right back in the game in the 16th minute when Rian O'Neill slipped the ball across goal for Jarlath Og Burns to palm to the net from a couple of feet out.

Rory Grugan’s silky finishing saw him clip over a couple of scores, with Oisin O’Neill’s driving runs beginning to stretch the Tyrone defence, and the sides were level by the 24th minute at 1-04 each.

Darragh Canavan sent his brother-in-law Harte in for a point to ease the Red Hands back in front, but it was point for point as the Orchard turned over possession to break from deep

Stefan Campbell and Grugan hit the target for them, while Donaghy, closely shadowed by Connaire Mackin, hit his second from a mark.

It was a long range score from Oisin O’Neill that levelled for the fourth time, sending the sides in at 1-7 each at the interval.

Just seconds into the second half Tyrone had a goal disallowed as substitute Niall Sludden sent a shot crashing against the crossbar, with Donaghy finishing the rebound home, but he was penalised for a square ball infringement.

Armagh lost Grugan to a black card moments after he had sent Rian O’Neill in to put them ahead for the first time, and the Red Hands capitalised with a couple of Donaghy frees.

But in the 48th minute, Rian O’Neill’s pinpoint pass picked out substitute Conor Turbitt, who rounded 'keeper Niall Morgan to plant the ball in the net.

The pair contrived again moments later in reverse, and this time a Frank Burns push on O’Neill earned them a penalty, but Morgan saved Stefan Campbell’s kick.

Stefan Campbell sees his penalty saved by Niall Morgan

McCurry was on fire, bringing the sides level for the sixth time, before squeezing over a gem from an almost possible angle to regain the lead just on the second drinks break, 1-12 to 2-8.

Tyrone sub Mark Bradley volleyed home his side’s second goal from

Canavan’s delivery into the danger zone and they were four clear.

Mattie Donnelly’s surging runs added energy and direction to the Red Hand effort, and as the Orchard men tired, fresh legs off the bench, particularly Bradley and Sludden, were finding space.

And late scores from Bradley and Conor Meyler saw Tyrone safely over the line ahead of next weekend’s clash with Monaghan.

Armagh: B Hughes; R Kennedy, A Forker, J Morgan; C Mackin, A McKay, C O’Hanlon; N Grimley, J Og Burns; J Hall (0-01), R O’Neill (0-01), G McCabe; R Grugan (0-05, 3f), O O’Neill (0-01), S Campbell (0-01).

Subs: B McCambridge for Kennedy (9), R McQuillan for Morgan (17), P Hughes for Hall (21), P Burns for Forker (33), C Turbitt (1-0) for McCabe (33), J Duffy (0-01) for Campbell (55)

Tyrone: N Morgan; C Munroe, R McNamee, P Hampsey; M O’Neill, M Donnelly (0-01), P Harte (1-01), F Burns, D McClure; P Donaghy (0-04, 2f, 1m), D McCurry (0-07, 4f), C Meyler (0-01); K McGeary, C McKenna, D Canavan.

Subs: R Brennan for O’Neill (35+6), M Cassidy for McClure (35+6), N Sudden for McGeary (h-t), M Bradley (1-01, 0-1f) for Donaghy (48), L Rafferty for Canavan (62), M McKernan for Munroe (64)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).