Relentless Louth ground out Lory Meagher Cup success over Fermanagh, pulling away in the second half with an impressive eleven point margin. Andrew Mackin's two goal after both water break restarts proved decisive.

Early possession edged towards Fermanagh and it would remain in their favour throughout the opening stages.

Louth goalkeeper Donal Connolly caught the first effort on goal over his crossbar and from that resultant play, Darren Geoghegan opened his account from a free.

Fermanagh soon levelled from a sublime Tom Keenan effort but the game entered a scrappy phase with both sides tallying three wides a piece. The sides traded points with Louth pulling back each time through David Kettle and Feidhelm Joyce.

Joe Baldwin's side struck a massive blow before the first half water break when John Duffy fired a well-taken penalty to the net. The penalty provided deserved daylight for the Ulster side but the timing of the goal was kind to Louth.

After the break Louth regrouped and Andrew Mackin found the net, forcing his way past four Fermanagh defenders before kicking low to the net.

With that surge in confidence Louth stormed towards half-time much the better side.

Geoghegan and Kettle added to their tallies either side of dual player Paul Mathews effort. Three unanswered scores saw Louth lead 1-06 to 1-03 at half time.

Louth's Niall Keenan in action against Andrew Breslin of Fermanagh

Right upon the resumption, Fermanagh substitute Ciarán Corrigan levelled the game with a devastating goal from the throw-in. Corrigan took off on an arcing run along the end line to bat past Connolly. Conor McShea quickly followed up with a lead point.

Louth responded through Niall Keenan, the Roscommon native playing in midfield whipped over a point along the empty Cusack stand. Geoghegan added three more frees to push the Wee County back in front. 

When talented Louth substitute Ryan Walsh came off the bench to find the target with his first touch, the Lory Meagher Cup looked to be going only one way. Mathews pushed Louth’s lead out to four at the second-half water break.

Once again, Mackin was the quickest amongst his peers, burying his second goal after cleverly linking up with his forty yards man Joyce. With that major the game was decided.

To Fermanagh’s credit, John and Caolan Duffy did try in vain to get their side going with scores but despite replacement Darren O’Hanrahan seeing red, the wee county had too much, Geoghegan piled on free after free and aptly closed out the game with his ninth free.

Louth: Donal Connolly; Matthew Fee, Ronan Byrne, Liam Molloy; Conor Deane (0-01), Jamie McDonnell, Andrew McCrave; Niall Keenan (0-01), James Costelloe; Darren Geoghegan (0-09, 0-09f), Feidhelm Joyce (0-01), Seanie Crosbie; Paul Mathews (0-02), Andrew Mackin (2-01), David Kettle (0-02).

Subs used: Darren O’Hanrahan for Costelloe (39) Ryan Walsh (0-01) for Kettle (43), Pádraig Fallon (0-01)for Joyce (58), Gavin Kerrigan for Paul Mathews (54), Shane Callan for Keenan (68). 

Fermanagh: Mark Curry; Ciarán Duffy Andrew Breslin, Aidan Flanagan; Rory Porteous,Daniel Teague, Francis McBrien; Conor McShea (0-01), Dylan Bannon, Caolan Duffy (0-01), Mark Slevin, John Duffy (1-03, 0-03f, 1-00pen); Tom Keenan (0-01), Seán Corrigan (0-01, 0-01f), Ciarán Corrigan (1-01).

Subs used: Barry McPhillips for S Corrigan (24) John Paul McGarry for Bannon (ht), Luca McCusker for Slevin (45),Shea Curran for Flanagan (54), Adam McShea for T Keenan (69).

Referee: Gearóid McGrath (Wexford)