Paul Taylor has stepped down as manager of the Sligo senior footballers after two years in charge. 

The Eastern Harps clubman, who previously managed the county's U21s, cites "family commitments, work commitments and the current health crisis" as the main factors in his decision to vacate the post now. 

In Taylor's first season at the helm, Sligo lost all their Allianz League Division 3 games. The subsequent championship saw defeats to Galway and Offaly.

While, generally accepted that the Yeatsmen were under transition, hopes were high that the squad would be competitive in their quest to escape from Division 4 in 2020. However, they only won three of their seven games, finishing just above Waterford and London.

Days out before their last Saturday's Connacht SFC semi-final clash with Galway, Sligo were forced to concede the fixture, due to a lack of numbers because of coronavirus issues.  

In a statement, confirming his decision to step down, Taylor said: "Family commitments, work commitments and the current health crisis are the primary factors in my decision. 

"I accepted the manager position two years ago knowing that the team was in a transition phase - with older and experienced players retiring and new younger players called up to county football. Notwithstanding that, there has been significant improvement in the team over the past two years. 

"The players, management team and I have worked tirelessly to develop the players and the squad. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the players for their commitment, positive attitude and loyalty during my tenure. 

"I would also like to thank the backroom and management team who have stood together over the last two years and especially over the last few months where we saw many changes to our daily lives.

"After all the hard work and preparations, I was bitterly disappointed that we were forced to withdraw from the Connacht SFC tie with Galway due to a coronavirus outbreak." 

As a player, Paul Taylor had a 15-year career with the Sligo seniors and was part of the 2007 squad that won the Connacht title.