Holders Roscommon bowed out of the Connacht championship this afternoon as Mayo powered to victory and into their first provincial final since 2015 at Dr Hyde Park.

They will now face Galway next Sunday at Pearse Stadium in Salthill.

James Horan's charges were full value for their convincing six points victory as a first half goal from Diarmuid O’Connor on 18 minutes set the tone for what was to follow.

Roscommon, who had knocked Mayo out of the Connacht championship last summer, never looked like recording back-to-back wins over their neighbours for the first time in 30 years.

Anthony Cunningham’s side were unable to cope with the visitor’s pace and power.

Mayo’s Cillian O’Connor delivered a man of the match display for the second week in a row, shooting nine points (six frees) while Paddy Durcan also turned in an impressive performance, landing two points and curbing the influence of Roscommon talisman, Enda Smith.

Despite winning the toss, Roscommon decided to play against the wind and ultimately paid the price for the decision.

Mayo came flying out of the blocks and wing-back Eoghan McLaughlin set up Diarmuid O’Connor for a well-taken goal at the end of the first quarter to leave them ahead by 1-6 to 0-2.

That goal was the first that Roscommon had conceded in almost eight hours of football and left them with a mountain to climb.

Paddy Durcan, Kevin McLoughlin and Cillian O’Connor (3, two frees) were also on target for a rampant Mayo, while Roscommon’s early scores arrived via a mark from Conor Cox and a Tadgh Rourke point from play.

The homeside rallied a little during the second quarter with points from Cian McKeon and two from Donie Smith leaving six points between the teams at the short whistle, Mayo ahead by 1-8 to 0-5.

Any hopes of a Rossie revival after the restart were snuffed out quickly by Mayo with

Cillian O’Connor leading the charge, and putting four points on the board inside 12 minutes.

That purple patch seemed to break Roscommon’s resistance, and their forwards found it hard to make inroads against Mayo’s experienced defenders, Lee Keegan and Chris Barrett.

Conor Cox did land two frees, and Niall Daly was on target from play, but the defending champions were unable to create any clear-cut goalscoring chances.

James Horan emptied his bench as the half wore on and Mayo glossed the final scoreline with efforts from the rampaging Paddy Durcan, Cillian O’Connor (two frees) and Conor Loftus to seal a deserved victory.

Mayo:  D Clarke; O Mullin, C Barrett, L Keegan; P Durcan (0-2), S Coen, E McLaughlin; M Ruane, C Loftus (0-1); K McLoughlin (0-1), R O’Donoghue, D O’Connor (1-1); T Conroy (0-1), A O’Shea (0-1), C O’Connor (0-9, 6fs).

Subs used: M Moran for O’Donoghue; J Flynn for D O’Connor; R Brickenden for Ruane; J Carr for Conroy; M Plunkett for Coen.

Roscommon: C Lavin; D Murray, C Daly, S Mullooly; R Daly, B Stack, N Daly (0-1); C Compton, T O’Rourke (0-1); N Kilroy, E Smith, C McKeon (0-3, 2f); D Smith (0-3, 1f), C Cox (0-3, 1m, 2f), C Cregg.

Subs used: C Devenney for Cregg; C Hussey for O’Rourke; C Lennon for Cox; D Murtagh (0-2) for D Smith.

Referee: D Gough (Meath)