Tipperary returned to the Munster Senior Football Championship final for the first time in four years but it took extra-time on Shannonside to overcome a spirited Limerick challenge.

It ended 2-11 to 1-15 in the Munster SFC semi-final in favour of The Premier County with substitute Brian Fox scoring the Tipperary winner in the final seconds as penalties looked likely.

First half goals from Sean McSweeney and Cillian Fahy had set Limerick on their way with Billy Lee's side leading 2-06 to 0-05 by half-time.

Limerick’s hard working half-back line kept Tipperary pushed out as David Power’s charges managed to score just five points in the opening half, three from play.

But, in what was a proverbial tale of two halves, Tipperary - in search of revenge after Championship defeat to Limerick in Thurles last year - scored 1-06 without response after the interval.

Four different scorers for Limerick – Sean McSweeney, Donal O'Sullivan, Hugh Bourke and Cillian Fahy – had given Billy Lee’s side a one-point advantage at the first-half water break.

McSweeney then linked up well with Tommie Childs to raise the green flag before Cillian Fahy put Limerick seven points ahead on the verge of half-time as he found the back of the net at the Clare end of the ground.

With the breeze at their back the visiting side enjoyed the better restart, with Kennedy and Sweeney both scoring from frees to narrow the gap to five points by the 40th minute.

Further points from Kevin Fahy, Sweeney, Liam Boland, and a goal from Liam Casey saw Tipperary lead by two points – 1-11 to 2-06 - by the second water break.

However, Tipperary failed to push on after the short break.

It was a one-point game when Darragh Treacy slotted over from out wide for Limerick’s first score of the second half with 58 minutes on the clock, before a close-range Bourke free put the sides on level terms again on the hour mark.

And as stoppage time fast approached substitute Cian Sheehan found space to put his side ahead.

But there was still time for one final dramatic act - Conor Sweeney ensuring extra time with a last gasp free from out on the sideline.

And, as the floodlights came on and the evening darkened, the contest concluded to a nervy end for both sides.

Boland pointed for Tipperary in the opening 10 minutes of extra-time but scores from McSweeney and O’Sullivan edged Limerick ahead in the second half.

Kiely drew the sides level before Fox scored what proved to be the winning point.

Substitute Seamus O’Carroll won a mark for Limerick to force the game to penalties but the Castleknock forward somehow put the ball wide to hand Tipperary the win.

Tipperary will face Kerry or Cork in the Munster SFC final on Sunday, 22 November.

Limerick: Donal O'Sullivan (0-02, 1f, 1 '45); Sean O'Dea, Brian Fanning, Paul Maher; Tony McCarthy, Iain Corbett (c), Gordon Brown; Darragh Treacy (0-01), Tommie Childs; Killian Ryan (0-01), Cillian Fahy (1-01), Adrian Enright; Hugh Bourke (0-02, 2f), Tommy Griffin (0-01), Sean McSweeney (1-02).

Subs: Padraig De Brun for Adrian Enright h/t, Danny Neville for Sean McSweeney 52, Cian Sheehan (0-01) for Tommy Griffin 52, Robbie Childs for Gordon Brown 55, Seamus O’Carroll for Killian Ryan 67, Michael Donovan for Tony McCarthy 7 ET, Davy Lyons for Cillian Fahy 12 ET, Sean McSweeney for Paul Maher h/t ET.

Tipperary: Evan Comerford; Alan Campbell, Jimmy Feehan, Colm O'Shaughnessy; Bill Maher, Kevin Fahey (0-01), Robbie Kiely (0-01); Conal Kennedy, Liam Casey (1-00); Jack Kennedy (0-02, 2f), Michael Quinlivan (0-01), Emmet Moloney; Jason Lonergan, Conor Sweeney (c) (0-07, 5f), Colman Kennedy.

Subs: Liam Boland (0-02) for Colman Kennedy h/t, Brian Fox 0-01 for Jason Lonergan h/t, Riain Quigley for Jack Kennedy 59, Kevin O’Halloran for Emmet Moloney 67, Tadhg Fitzgerald for Colm O’Shaughnessy 70, Colman Kennedy for Riain Quigley 7 ET, Paudie Feehan for Kevin Fahey 12 ET

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois)