Mayo marked their return to the inter-county season with a remarkable 15-point win over arch rivals Galway at Tuam Stadium, finishing proceedings with a final scoreline of 3-23 to  0-17.

Mayo led by 2-17 to 0-07 at the end of a remarkable opening half in the Allianz Football League Division 1 clash when they had the breeze behind them, with James Horan's men scoring more in that half than they did in any of their five league games earlier this season.

Galway never looked like staging a comeback in the second-half as Mayo continued to dominate to seal an astonishing win.

Mayo's dominance was obvious from the outset and they led by 1-05 to 0-01 after just 12 minutes with Mark Moran crowning his debut with a well-worked goal.

The Westport man went on to produce a man of the match display and looks set to be part of James Horan’s championship plans.

Mark Moran battles for possession

Galway, who lost Damien Comer and Johnny Duane to early injuries, responded with two points from Paul Conroy and one from Rob Finnerty to cut the gap to four, but it was all Mayo after that.

Tommy Conroy was outstanding up front for Mayo and  increased their lead to 1-09 to 0-05 after 21 minutes.

Galway responded with a couple of frees from Rob Finnerty but Mayo pushed on when they hit 1-07 without reply in the closing eleven minutes of the opening half.

Wing-back Paddy Durcan went forward to finish off another flowing move with a low shot to the net and four points from Cillian O’Connor and one apiece from Aidan O’Shea and Conroy sent James Horan’s men leading by 16 points at the break.

Galway were shell-shocked and struggled to rally after the restart. They did manage to outscore Mayo by 0-06 to 0-03 in the third quarter but never looked like getting in for a goal as the Mayo defence remained on top.

And it was Mayo who again found the net when a Moran delivery from the left was collected by Conor Loftus and he showed good composure to slot the ball home to extend their lead after 58 minutes of an astonishing encounter

Mayo: David Clarke; Oisin Mullin, David McBrien, Lee Keegan; Paddy Durcan (1-02), Stephen Coen (0-01, 0-01m), Eoghan McLaughlin; Matthew Ruane, Conor Loftus (1-02, 0-01m); Fionn McDonagh, Mark Moran (1-02), Diarmuid O’Connor; Tommy Conroy (0-03), Aidan O’Shea (0-03), Cillian O’Connor (0-10, 0-08f).

Subs: Bryan Walsh for McDonagh (45 mins), Padraig O’Hora for McBrien (51), Ryan O’Donoghue for D O’Connor (55), Darren Coen for C O’Connor (55), Jordan Flynn for Ruane (64).

Galway: Conor Gleeson; Conor Campbell, Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Johnny Heaney; Liam Silke (0-02), Johnny Duane, Cillian McDaid (0-01); Cein D’Arcy (0-01), John Maher; Eamonn Brannigan, Damien Comer, Jason Leonard; Rob Finnerty (0-07, 0-06f), Paul Conroy (0-03), Ian Burke.

Subs: Michael Daly for Comer (4 mins), Gary O’Donnell (0-01) for Duane (10), Adrian Varley (0-01) for Brannigan (29), Tom Flynn for Maher (half-time), Matthias Barrett (0-01) for D’Arcy (57).

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois).