Ballymun Kickhams 1-19

Ballyboden St Enda's 0-08

A dominant first-half performance lay the foundations as Ballymun Kickhams eased past a listless Ballyboden St Enda’s by 14 points in their disappointingly one-sided Dublin Senior football Championship final at Parnell Park on Sunday afternoon.

In doing so, Kickhams claimed their first title since 2012 and fourth in total, heaping further misery on the dual players of Ballyboden after their defeat to Cuala in the hurling equivalent a week previously.

The contest started in a glut of scores as both defences struggled to adapt to the pace of the initial exchanges with Conal Keaney handing the holders the early initiative with a first minute point.

It didn't take long for Ballymun to reply in kind, through a smart effort from Paddy Small and a Cathal O’Tighe effort edged Kickhams in front by the fourth minute.

With Ballyboden missing regular goalkeeper Darragh Gogan through suspension, their opponents seized on some errant restarts from Mark McNamee with Small and Dean Rock the chief beneficiaries of Ballymun’s control around the middle third.

Some sporadic pressure from St Enda’s yielded cracking points by Keaney and Ryan Basquel but these proved isolated moments of joy as they played second fiddle for the remainder of the half.

Dean Rock in action

A brace of Rock points in quick succession saw Kickhams enjoy a healthy 0-07 to 0-04 advantage by the water break and the procession towards the Ballyboden goal continued unabated in the second quarter.

A Fiach Andrews score in the 20th minute levelled the tie at double scores before Rock, who was enjoying the freedom of Donnycarney at this stage, kicked a trio of points from play to reaffirm his team’s supremacy.

The misery continued for the holders as the half evolved as Andrews popped over his second of the day and two further frees from Rock meant Ballymun had kicked ten points without reply, prompting a 0-14 to 0-04 interval lead.

Ballyboden’s shooting left a lot to be desired in the first-half and that trend continued upon the restart with substitute Alan Flood and Warren Egan the chief culprits.

In contrast, Ballymun scored from their first two attacks of the half, both through the lively Keating as the wides continued to rack up at the opposite end as the holders’ lack of confidence up front continued to manifest itself.

They finally managed their fifth point of the afternoon in the 45th minute through a Colm Basquel free, ending a remarkable barren period of thirty-five minutes in the process.

Ballymun’s attacking intent waned at the half progressed, happy in the comfort that their main objective had long since been achieved, and a Rock penalty in added time put the gloss on an emphatic victory for an exceptional Kickhams team.

Ballymun Kickhams: E Comerford; L Young, E Dolan, P McMahon; C Keeley, J Small, D Conlon; A Elliott, J McCarthy; C McCormack, F Andrews (0-4), C O’Tighe (0-1); P Small (0-2), D Keating (0-3), D Rock (1-8, 1-0 pen, 0-3f).

Subs used: J Whelan (0-1) for O’Tighe (50), A McCaul for Keating (53), C McManus for McCormack (58), B Ashton for Elliott (60).

Ballyboden St Enda’s: M McNamee; S Clayton, K Kennedy, C Flaherty; B Bobbett, D Nelson, R McDaid; MD Macauley, A Waters; R McGarry, W Egan, D O’Reilly; C Keaney (0-3), R Basquel (0-3, 1f), C Basquel (0-2, 2f).

Subs used: A Flood for O’Reilly (half-time), D O’Mahony for Bobbett (half-time), J Holland for Nelson (half-time), S Lambert for C Basquel (50), T Hayes for McGarry (55).

Referee: Séamus Farrelly (Ballinteer St John's)