Mohill 0-14
St. Mary's 0-09

Keith Beirne excelled as Mohill came from behind at the break to demolish St Mary’s challenge in the third quarter and win their eighth Leitrim SFC title.

Mohill six unanswered points after the restart to turn the tables on their rivals, with Beirne getting three of them.

It took both teams quite a while to settle down and St Mary’s eventually got the game’s opening score nine minutes into the action when Paul Keaney fired over a placed ball. Mohill moved in front on 12 minutes thanks to Beirne, who whipped over a pair of frees.

St Mary’s edged ahead again when Daire Farrell hit the contest’s first point from play while an Alan Doherty point prior to the first water break put the Carrick-on-Shannon side two ahead.

Keaney put over a 22nd-minute free for St Mary’s but Mohill replied with points from play by Ronan Kennedy and Beirne.

Prior to the half-time whistle Keaney and Alan Doherty converted frees, with Beirne replying for Mohill to leave them trailing by 0-06 to 0-05 at the interval.

A determined Mohill got straight down to business right from the restart with Beirne tapping over a levelling free shortly after the throw-in.

Shane Quinn edged Mohill ahead five minutes later with a well-hit point that put his side in command for the rest of the game.

After that Beirne shot over from a free and play while Quinn and Domhnaill Flynn chipped in with a point each to put Mohill ahead by 0-11 to 0-06 at the second water break.

Kennedy extended Mohill’s lead when he shot the last quarter’s opening score but St Mary’s rallied and managed to their deficit advantage by the 57th minute.

Nicholas McWeeney shot over from play and Keaney tapped over two frees to make it a three-point game but that was a close as St Mary’s got to turning the tide.

Mohill, who won Leitrim’ first senior championship in 1890, asserted control again with points by Kennedy and match-winner Beirne.

Mohill: P Tighe; D Mitchell, A Armstrong, O Madden; D Beck, C Canning, J Mitchell; K Keegan. S Quinn (0-02); E Harkin, K Beirne (0-08, 0-04f), S Harkin; D Flynn (0-01), R Kennedy (0-03), J Reynolds.

Subs: A McLoughlin for Reynolds (39), E Madden for E Harkin (58). 

St Mary’s: S Reynolds; J Cassidy, C Farrell, P McKenna; M Diffley, J Glancy, N McWeeney (0-01); D O’Connell, P Keaney (0-05); D Farrell (0-01), R Mulvey, D Tiernan; A Doherty (0-02, 0-02f), R Lowe, B Farrell.

Subs: J McGail for O’Connell (45); J O’Rourke & B O’Donnell for B Farrell & Doherty (50); J Bairns for McKenna (50).

Referee: M McGirl (Drumreilly).