It has been shown and spoken about many times since that soggy September Sunday in 1978.

And today marks the 42nd anniversary of Mikey Sheehy's audacious free that had Paddy Cullen back-pedaling in the All-Ireland final. Cullen's attempts were in vain, as the Tralee maestro's curling effort eventually nestled in the back of the Dublin net.

As half-time neared, the Kingdom hit the front for the first time in the '78 decider. On the resumption, they would run riot, with Eoin Liston helping himself to a hat-trick of green flags. The winning margin was 17 points.

But back to that goal. Kerry forward Ger Power tried to get on the end of a long punt in from Jack O'Shea, but Paddy Cullen came out, sweeped up and passed to his corner-back Robbie Kelleher. However, referee Seamus Aldridge had blown his whistle, awarding a free in to Kerry.

To say that the awarding was dubious would be an understatement. A look back at the footage and it's hard to see where any foul occurred. Aldridge was not for turning, however, despite Cullen's remonstrations.

In a spirit of great charity, Robbie Kelleher handed the ball to Sheehy, who placed it on the ground, looked up and scored one of the memorable All-Ireland final goals.

We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Cue Micheál O'Hehir in the RTÉ television commentary box: "A goal, in the greatest freak of all time". Maybe, O'Hehir was caught off guard by Sheehy's opportunism and the words came out. 

Was it such a freak goal?

Credit to Sheehy, perhaps the most stylish player of that era, for his quick thinking and sublime execution.

Perhaps, 'bizarre' is a more apt description to describe the lead-up to the goal as Paddy Cullen outlined to the Irish Independent in 1998. 

"There is no doubt in my mind the free for the goal originated from an earlier incident between myself and Ger Power," he said.

"On the first occasion, I cleared the ball and I felt Ger had come in late on me. As he was walking away, I clipped his ankle. The referee did not see it, but a lot of people in the crowd did and they started booing me.

"The next time the ball came, I collected it and passed it off and the two of us just bumped into one another. Then, I heard the whistle blow and I honestly thought it was a free out for us I mean, I had been in possession of the ball.

"I couldn't believe it when the free went to them. I was saying `Hold on a minute here' but before I knew it, Mikey Sheehy was placing the ball and chipping it into the net. I ran back, but I had no chance and ended up in the side netting."

With time to absorb the happenings in front of him, legendary journalist Con Houlihan wrote: "Paddy dashed back towards his goal like a woman who smells a cake burning."

As for Robbie Kelleher, well he'll never live down the fact that he handed the ball to Mikey Sheehy, so much so that he wants it referenced on his tombstone.