Relegation is staring Fermanagh in the face as rampant Armagh had far too much power and panache for a very weakened Erne outfit at a wet and windy Brewster Park.

Three superbly finished goals early in the first and second halves from Jamie Clarke and Aidan Forker and an opportunist finish from Aidan Nugent put lots of daylight between the sides. 

The Ernesiders were struck an early treble whammy, losing full-back Che Cullen, midfielder Eoin Donnelly and full-forward Conall Jones before the match began.

James Allen, Richard O'Callaghan and Eoin McManus came in, but they were struck another hammer blow when Rian O’Neill sent a long ball between dangerman Clarke and Fermanagh’s Jonny Cassidy.

And the elegant Armagh corner forward slid the ball low to the net under the diving body of Erne keeper James McGrath.

That set the tone for almost total dominance from a vastly superior physical Armagh side as marksman Rory Grugan hit two points from play and late sub Nugent lofted over a tremendous effort from distance.

Fermanagh were outplayed and missed the first of two goals when a McManus free came off the crossbar but corner-forward Darragh McGurn's effort was easily smothered in the 22nd minute.

They had another great goal chance in the 25th minute when Stephen McGullion was one-on-one with Armagh keeper Blaine Hughes but blazed over the bar with an open goal beckoning.

Erne centre-back James McMahon then hit a thundering point into the breeze, but the winners replied swiftly and decisively from Jarlath Og Burns, Nugent, O’Neill and Grugan to stretch their lead to 1-08 to 0-02 before Eoin McManus finally got off the mark for the Ernesiders.

The much physically superior Armagh were well worth their 1-08 to 0-03 half time lead.

Even though the beleaguered Ernesiders got the opening point of the half from Eoin McManus, Armagh struck for another killer goal in 40th minute.

Burns slipped a superb pass through to Mark Shields who found the in-rushing Forker, who clinically converted in the 40th minute.

And, the impressive Nugent applied the coup de grace when he pounced on a dropping ball and found the net with aplomb in the 55th minute.

The Ernesiders tacked on a few points from Tomas Corrigan and Ciaran Corrigan but they were only token efforts despite hard work from Australia-bound Ultan Kelm.

But there was no doubting Armagh’s superiority as they carved the Erne defence open almost at will.

This was a very impressive victory for the visitors who were never troubled misfiring Fermanagh side who will want to forget this experience.

The remainder of the match was a canter in the park for Armagh who have taken a huge step towards promotion with a huge points difference on their nearest rivals.

For Fermanagh, relegation is very much on the cards unless they can conjure two fairly comprehensive victories over Clare and Laois.

Otherwise this must rank as one of their poorest displays in some time.

Fermanagh: J McGrath; J Cassidy, J Allen, K McDonnell: E Shields; J McMahon (0-1) Shane McGullion; R Jones (0-2), R O’Callaghan; A Breen, U Kelm, C Corrigan (0-1); Stephen McGullion (0-1), E McManus (0-4f) D McGurn

Subs: D McCusker for J Allen (30), K Connor for J Cassidy, T Corrigan (0-1) for Shane McGullion (38) C Jones for R O’Callaghan (44), T Bogue for Stephen McGullion

Yellow card; E McManus (23), Shane McGullion (31), J Cassidy (34), D McCusker (40), C Corrigan (38)

Armagh: B Hughes, P Burns, B Donaghy, A Forker (1-0); Jarlath Og Burns (0-1), S Sheridan, A Nugent (1-2); N Grimley (0-1), O O’Neill (0-3); R Grugan (0-3f) S Campbell, M Shields; J Clarke (1-0), R O’Neill (0-4145) R Kennedy.

Subs: J Morgan for P Burns, E Rafferty for J Clarke (64) G McCabe for R Grugan (68), A McKay for O O’Neill (69)

Yellow card: P Burns (60), R O’Neill (72)

Referee: C Branagan (Down)