Séamus Callanan scored a late goal and Tipperary maintained their push for the Allianz Hurling League quarter-finals with a big 3-27 to 0-16 win against Westmeath.

Nenagh was the original venue but it was switched to the Semple Stadium in Thurles and the reigning All-Ireland champions flourished here.

Liam Sheedy's men took a 2-14 to 0-07 lead into half-time after goals from Cian Darcy and Jake Morris.

Westmeath’s Killian Doyle was shown a red card on the resumption and it was easy for Tipperary with Callanan also finding the net.

Jason Forde finished with 0-14.

Killian Doyle was a late inclusion in the Westmeath starting 15 and he scored a couple of points to keep them alive in the game early on.

Jason Forde popped over two frees in the opening four minutes but Westmeath were level when Derek McNicholas scored a fine effort down the left wing.Mark Kehoe and Doyle exchanged points but then Tipperary flexed their muscles and there was no stopping them between the 11th and 19th minutes.

Unfortunately for the visitors Tipperary's domination stemmed from a mistake by Westmeath goalkeeper Aaron McHugh. He was forced into a mishit clearance by the Séamus Callanan, who was starting his first game this year, and when Darcy claimed possession he had the easiest of finishes.

Tipperary had scored three points in a row prior to that 16th minute strike, and another brilliant shot from Michael Breen yielded a 1-07 to 0-03 lead.Killian Doyle hit back but it was only a momentary reprieve, Forde and Alan Flynn combined for two points each before the killer score from Morris.

Darcy burst through, looking to finish off his second goal and when Conor Shaw got in the hook, Morris flicked the ball to the net.Doyle scored his fourth point but Westmeath were trailing 2-11 to 0-05 with six minutes of normal time remaining in the first half.

Jason Forde

And Forde’s stunning sideline cut was the perfect way to round off the scoring before the break with Tipperary leading 2-14 to 0-07.Forde piled on the pressure again on the restart, he brought his tally to double figures from a free, and then disaster struck for Westmeath.

Killian Doyle scored a free in the 39th minute but moments he was awarded a straight red card for a collision with Seán O’Brien, where the Raharney forward ended up with a broken hurl.Westmeath were forced into a change of free-taker, and Allan Devine provided two quick points but Tipperary were relentless.

Ronan Maher got in on the scoring as the lead rose to 2-18 to 0-10.Morris showed glimpses of his brilliance and he flashed over points in the 48th and 52nd minutes.

The game was already well over and it gave Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy the chance to bring on players with the experience of Noel McGrath.McNicholas and Devine scored back-to-back but Westmeath were turning their attentions on the relegation play-off while Tipperary move towards a clash with Liam Cahill’s Waterford.

Tipperary: Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, Barry Heffernan, Seán O’Brien; Séamus Kennedy, Ronan Maher (0-03), Bryan O’Mara; Alan Flynn (0-02), Michael Breen (0-02);  Jason Forde (0-14, 0-09f, 0-01 sl), Séamus Callanan (1-01), Niall O’Meara; Cian Darcy (1-01), Jake Morris (1-03), Mark Kehoe (0-01).

Subs used: Craig Morgan for Barrett (44), Noel McGrath for Kehoe (48), Dillon Quirke for O’Brien (48), Paul Flynn for O’Meara (56), Paddy Cadell for Kennedy (66).

Westmeath: Aaron McHugh; Adam Ennis, Tommy Doyle, Conor Shaw; Aaron Craig, Aonghus Clarke (0-01), Liam Varley; Robbie Greville, Cormac Boyle; Joey Boyle, Derek McNicholas (0-02), Josh Coll; Killian Doyle (0-07, 0-06f, 0-01 65), Allan Devine (0-05, 0-05f), Niall Mitchell.

Subs used: Ciarán Doyle (0-01) for Coll (23), Brian McHugh for Aaron McHugh (35), Darragh Clinton for J Boyle (48), Darragh Egerton for Ennis (58), John McCarthy for Mitchell (62).Referee: Patrick Murphy (Carlow).