Westmeath and Armagh finished level in the Allianz League Division 2 after what could only be described as a fantastic game of football played out in TEG Cusack Park.

Westmeath were eight points down at the interval, before producing a 12-point turnaround to go four ahead, though a late goal from Jamie Clarke broke Lake County hearts.

Both of these teams remain firmly in the hunt for promotion following this result and some of the football played here was magnificent.

Armagh started the game very well, as Kieran McGeeney's side had 1-05 scored before Westmeath opened their account

Rian O’Neill registered two frees, which were followed with a Rory Grugan goal, as he palmed to the net after a move involving Jarlath Og Burns and Conor Turbitt.

Points from Rian O’Neill, Turbitt and Aidan Forker followed, as Armagh held an eight-point lead, before John Heslin scored Westmeath’s first point in the 12th minute.

Burns replied with an Armagh point, before scores from Luke Loughlin and Heslin left six between the sides.

It was tit for tat up until the 31st minute, as a score from Ronan O’Toole reduced the gap to five, but Armagh ended the half strongly, as points from Grugan (2) and Mark Shields gave them a 1-12 to 0-07 lead at the interval.

A John Heslin free opened the second half scoring, before Westmeath were awarded a penalty in the 40th minute, when Callum McCormack’s effort was deemed to have been foot-blocked by Rory Grugan and Heslin made no mistake with the spot-kick, to reduce the deficit to four.

Denis Corroon scored his sides second goal moments later, receiving a pass from Ronan Wallace, as the gap was reduced to just one point.

A Boidu Sayeh point levelled proceedings, before Sam Duncan was shown a black card and Grugan’s restored Armagh’s advantage.

Luke Loughlin responded with a goal for Westmeath.

That was followed by points from Heslin and O’Toole which gave Jack Cooney’s side a 3-11 to 1-13 lead with 56 minutes played, though they were briefly reduced to 13 men as James Dolan was shown a black card.

Points from Rian O’Neill and Jason Duffy halved the deficit, before a Heslin free settled Westmeath.

Clarke found the net for Armagh late on after being set up by Stefan Campbell and the referee awarded the goal after a brief consultation with his umpires.

Westmeath appealed for square ball but it was to no avail as the goal stood.

A late offensive mark from Ray Connellan went to the right and wide as the referee called proceedings to a halt shortly after with a draw a fair result on the day.

Armagh face Fermanagh in Brewster Park next Sunday, while Westmeath travel to face Roscommon on the same day.

Westmeath: Jason Daly; Killian Daly, Ronan Wallace, Boidu Sayeh (0-01); Sam Duncan, Kevin Maguire, James Dolan; Denis Corroon (1-00), Ray Connellan (0-01); Anthony McGivney, Ronan O’Toole (0-02), David Lynch; Callum McCormack, John Heslin (1-06, 0-05f), Luke Loughlin (1-02, 0-01 "45").

Subs: Conor Coughlan for Lynch (55), Tommy McDaniel for McCormack (57), Noel Mulligan for McGivney (62), Jack Smith for Duncan (70 + 4)

Armagh: Blaine Hughes; Paddy Burns, Aidan Nugent, Aidan Forker (0-01); Conor O’Neill, Stephen Sheridan, Joe McElroy; Niall Grimley, Oisin O’Neill (0-02, 0-01 mark); Rory Grugan (1-04, 0-02f), Stefan Campbell, Mark Shields (0-01); Conor Turbitt (0-01), Rian O’Neill (0-04, 0-04f), Jarleth Og Burns (0-01).

Subs: Jason Duffy (0-01) for Turbitt (45), Jamie Clarke (1-00) for Nugent (51), James Morgan for McElroy (57), Ethan Rafferty for O O’Neill (64)

Referee: Barry Cassidy (Derry)