Two goals in the space of five minutes clinched this Allianz Football League Division 2 derby match for Cavan against Fermanagh in Brewster Park.

Both goals came from high lobbed balls into a shaky looking Erne full back-line. 

The first goal came from a lob into the square where Cavan full-back Pauric Faulkner was unmarked and rocketed the ball to the net.

Faulkner's strike put Cavan in to a 1-09 to 1-08 lead after they had trailed by 1-05 to 0-07 at the break.

The second goal came five minutes later from a carbon copy lob with midfielder Thomas Galligan flicking the ball to the net. That score put Cavan into a 2-09 to 1-07.

And even though the wasteful Ernesiders, who hit 12 wides, rallied back, they were not able to salvage a result. 

Fermanagh started on the front foot and forced Cavan keeper Dermot Galligan to make a smart save from Ciaran Corrigan in the fourth minute.

They had greater joy a minute later when a lightning six man move ended with Ultan Kelm calmly tapping to the empty net after the Breffni defence was spread-eagled. 

Cavan's talisman Gearoid McKiernan, whose mother is from Fermanagh, replied swiftly with two well struck points in the eighth and 10th minutes.

Oisin Pierson levelled matters from a free in the 11th minute and Oisin Kiernan put the visitors in front with a stupendous effort 60 seconds later.

McKiernan then made it 0-5 to 1-0 with a well struck score.

Cavan were on top at midfield but Fermanagh fluffed five chances before Conal Jones converted a free.

Jones levelled matters in the 18th minute but the home side missed three more good chances before Aidan Breen put them back in the lead after a slick move to put the Ernesiders into a 1-03 to 0-5 lead.

Cavan were reduced to 14 men when Evan Doughty was sin-binned for ten minutes in the 22nd minute.

Pierson then hit another superb point and Chris Conroy put the Breffni boys back in front after a forward mark taken on the 13-metre line.

But two quick points from the nippy Ciaran Corrigan and midfielder Ryan Jones put the home side ahead by a point on a score of 1-05 to 0-07 at the break.

Shane McGullion stretched the lead for the hosts. Wing-forward Ciaran Corrigan then intercepted a poor kickout by Cavan keeper Raymond Galligan, but he managed to lob he ball wide of an open goal from an angle in the 42nd minute.

Fermanagh  lost Stephen McGullion to a black card before Cavan pounced for those crucial goals that sealed this affair.

Fermanagh: I McGrath; J Cassidy, CCullen, KMcDonnell; D McCusker, R O’Callaghan, J McMahon; E Donnelly, R Jones; (0-2) A Breen (0-1) U Kelm (1-0) C Corrigan (0-3); Stephen McGullion, C Jones (0-3f) Shane McGullion (0-1)

Subs: D McGurn for Stephen McGullion (55), D Teague for D McCusker (57), E McManus (0-1f) for C Jones (63) E Shields for K Mcdonnell (65)

Cavan: R Galligan; C Madden, P Faulkner (1-0), K Brady; G Smith, C Brady, O Kiernan; (0-2) T Galligan (0-1), C Conroy (0-1f); E Doughty, G McKiernan (0-51f) M Reilly; O Pierson (0-2f) J Smith, B Magee. Subs; S Murray for E Doughty (42) L Fortune for B Magee (50), R Connolly for O Pierson (56) B Kelly for C Madden (62).

Referee: S Hurson (Tyrone)