Joe Canning came off injured as Limerick made it two league wins from two after an eight-point win over Galway at the LIT Gaelic Grounds.

It was a first competitive meeting between the sides since the 2018 All-Ireland final when the Treaty ended a 45-year famine, and this time John Kiely's men won in controlled fashion.

David Dempsey steered home the decisive goal just after the break and, while the Tribesmen put up a fight, the truth is that the hosts could have won by more after hitting 15 wides.

Galway boss Shane O’Neill, who hails from just up the road from the stadium, had an unhappy homecoming, with the injury to Canning being of particular concern.

Joe Canning was withdrawn injured in his team's loss to Limerick 

Limerick might well have been out of sight in the first half but for some errant shooting. They returned 0-12 in that period as all six forwards and Declan Hannon scored from play, while David Reidy also popped over three frees.

The big issue was the missed chances as ten efforts went wide or short of the target, while a couple of goal chances also went askew.

Galway, however, found the target with their first eight shots to go 0-08 to 0-06 ahead on 23 minutes before missing with three of their next four to limit their scoring to just 0-09 by the break.

Canning and Conor Whelan were the leading lights in an otherwise shy forward line, though Sean Linnane was also industrious at midfield. 

The three-point lead was doubled just after half time when Flanagan robbed Gearoid McInerney at the end line, and hung a lovely ball across for Dempsey to snap over Sean Loftus and fire low to the net.

John Kiely and Shane O'Neill shake hands after the game

The Tribe rattled four of the next five to make a game of it, but just one more in the final 20 minutes allowed the Treaty to coast clear. The loss of Canning being crucial to their demise.

Aaron Gillane, Tom Morrissey, Graeme Mulcahy and Darren O’Connell all sparkled in the final minutes for the hosts, while Galway tried to force goals late on - with Conor Cooney denied by Eanna Murphy with one close-range free, before Jason Flynn smashed the bar with another. 

Limerick: N Quaid; A Costello, S Finn, R English; D Morrissey, D Hannon (0-01), B Nash; D O’Donovan (0-01), W O’Donoghue; G Hegarty (0-02), T Morrissey (0-02), D Reidy  (0-07, 4f); D Dempsey (1-01), S Flanagan (0-01), G Mulcahy (0-01).

Subs: C Lynch for Darragh O’Donovan (blood 3-6 mins); T Condon for English (half time);  D Byrnes for Hannon (38); Aaron Gillane (0-02, 1f) for Flanagan (55); D O’Connell (0-01) for Dempsey (60); Brian Ryan for Reidy (65)

Galway: E Murphy; S Loftus, G McInerney, TJ Brennan; P Mannion, S Cooney (0-01), A Harte (0-01); A Tuohey, S Linnane; D Kilcommins, C Mannion (0-01), J Canning (0-07, 5f); J Flynn, C Whelan (0-02), B Concannon.

Subs used: C Cooney (0-01, 1f) for Concannon (half time); S Bleahane (0-01) for Canning (47); Darragh Burke for Kilcommons (52); Paul Killeen for Loftus (55); J Grealish for Linnane (65)

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork)