IT Carlow 2-09 Letterkenny IT 1-09

Adam Steed's last-gasp winner at the death was enough to secure IT Carlow’s place in their first Sigerson Cup final at the expense of Letterkenny IT.

Moments earlier extra time looked on the cards when Caoimhin Marley palmed to the net for the Michael Murphy-managed side.

However, Carlow worked their way back up the field for the game's final twist and booked a date with DCU. 

We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Lively Offaly forward Cian Farrell found the posts inside the first minute of the half with a well-earned free.

It would be an indication of what was to come from the Edenderry man.

His movement and direct lines of running were a handful Letterkenny to handle, he helped himself to three first-half points.

Despite Farrell's influence on proceedings Letterkenny IT dominated possession.

Built on turnovers down the centre, Oisin Langan and Eoin McGettigan profited with lightening quick counter-attacks.

Sparked by a Cathal Walsh black card for Carlow on the 28th minute, Letterkenny ran off three unanswered scores points at the end of the first half to lead 0-05 to 0-04.

Michael Langan, with a free, his midfield partner Caoimhin Marley and corner-back Aaron Gilloolley found the target having been set up by Langan 

Farrell came out and scored the first point of the half again and Padraig O’Toole added another to give the Carlow side the lead with 14 men.

Donegal midfielder Langan took the initiative and pointed twice either side of hugely impressive Peadar Mogan to push the Donegal institute two points ahead.

However, in that period of dominance Letterkenny lost their corner forward Darragh Black to a second yellow card and to compound matters further they lost their full-back Mark McAteer to a black in the next attack. 

That indiscipline was a huge turning point in the game and Carlow stunned the Donegal side with 1-04 to no reply to give themselves a healthy four point cushion. 

Farrell was involved again, his wicked long-range effort cracked off the crossbar and his opposing corner forward Evan Lowry was quickest to react to finish low to the net.

Langan again responded and his free teed up Marley to equalise at the death but Steed’s heroics would not deny his college’s place in the record books.

Letterkenny IT: Micheal Lynch; Aaron Gillooly (0-01); Mark McAteer, Nathan McElwaine; Christian Bonner, Oisin Langan (0-01), Liam Jackson; Michael Langan (0-04, 0-03f), Caoimhin Marley (1-01); Ryan McFadden, Peadar Mogan (0-01), Paddy Dolan; Ultan Doherty, Darragh Black, Eoghan McGettigan (0-01).

Subs Used: John Campbell for Jackson (h-t), Ethan Harkin for R McFadden (53).

IT Carlow: Killian Roche; Ronan Ryan, Richard Hitchcock, Josh Moore; Cathal Walsh, Trevor Collins,, Conor Doyle; Niall Hughes, Sean Ryan; Chris Byrne (0-01), Adam Steed (1-01), Padraig O’Toole (0-01); Cian Farrell (0-04, 0-03f, 0-01m), Jack Walsh (0-01), Evan Lowry (1-00).

Subs Used: Gearóid Murphy (0-01, 0-0145) for C Walsh (38), T Griffin for J Walsh, (40), Patrick O’Connor for Hitchcock (55).

Referee: Martin McNally (Monaghan)