Cork's Daniel Kearney has opted out of the county senior hurling squad for the 2020 season, according to manager Kieran Kingston.

The 30-year old midfielder has been a fixture on the Cork panel in recent seasons, winning three Munster titles in 2014, 2017 and 2018, earning an All-Star nomination in the last of those campaigns. 

Returning Cork boss Kingston said they'd "love to have him" but revealed that the player was intent on taking some time out of the inter-county game and would likely not be back this season. 

"At this stage, I don't think we can look at Daniel for 2020," he told the Irish Examiner.

"He has been recently made captain of Sars as well and we have to respect his decision. He wanted some time out of inter-county hurling, he’s nine or ten years giving his life to it.

"We’d love to have him but we don’t and we have to move on. It gives an opportunity to someone else."

Kieran Kingston

Cork kick off their Allianz Hurling League campaign against Waterford in Walsh Park next Sunday, with Kingston confirming that they would alos be without Alan Cadogan, Christopher Joyce and Mark Ellis.

In pre-season, Kingston integrated a number of players from Cork's recent U21 and U20 sides, who reached the All-Ireland final in both 2018 and 2019, losing to Tipperary on each occasion. 

Brian Turnbull, Jack O'Connor, Seán Twomey, Chris O'Leary and Ryan Walsh all started in Cork's recent defeat to Limerick in the Munster hurling league final in the LIT Gaelic Grounds. 

"We have a good few of last year's U20 team, and the previous year’s U21 team, who are on our panel.

"We’re just building them up and working with them, giving them the best opportunity to compete at senior level because there's a quite a gap between a 19-year-old and and jumping to senior straightaway."