Naomh Conaill (Donegal) 0-12 Clontibret (Monaghan) 0-9

Naomh Conaill turned in a power-packed display to reach their second Ulster title in nine years as they thoroughly outclassed a somewhat lack-lustre Clontibret before a big crowd in Healy Park tonight.

Centre-forward Eoghan McGettigan turned in a man-of-the match display, kicking 0-6 while team captain Leo McLoone was also a towering figure for the winners.

Thompson hit two key scores in the early part of the second half when they were needed.

Clontibret put in a much-improved display in the second half, but did not pose any real threat apart from Conor McManus who hit five of his six points from frees, but was otherwise well contained by Jeaic MacCeallbhui.

However, their discipline let them down, as they conceded 23 frees to 11 for the victors.

But jubilant Glenties now move to a final date with either Derrygonnelly Harps.

Naomh Conaill took off like a freight train and veteran Brendan McDyer went through the Clontibret defence but his low hard shot just hit the post and went wide after 40 seconds.

But they hit the ground running again a minute later when Eoghan McGettigan was fouled, and opened the scoring from the resultant free.

Conor McManus replied with a neat left-footed effort from 35 metres to level matters.

Anthony Thompson on the ball for Naomh Conaill

However, Glenties were ravenous and centre-forward Eoghan McGettigan shipped a heavy hit before hitting a fine left-footed effort over the bar.

He added another from a free two minutes later to leave the leading by 0-3 to 0-1.

Veteran McDyer, then stretched their lead with a well struck point on the burst in the 13th minute.

But it was corner back Kevin McGettigan who got the score of the half when he got on the end of an eight man move to split the posts in the 16th minute.

And Eoghan McGettigan and Leo McLoone made it 0-6 to 0-2 with another point before a major turning point when their full-back A J Gallagher was black carded for dragging down the goal bound Vinny Corey in the 21st minute.

McManus converted the resultant free and he narrowed the gap even further with another pointed free five minutes from the break as Glenties led by 0-6 to 0-3.

Leo McLoone, who was outstanding at midfield won possession and was fouled and McGettigan eased Glenties into a 0-7 to 0-3 lead-a margin that slightly flattered Clontibret on the balance of play in that opening half where Glenties also hit four bad wides.

The frantic pace dropped a tad in the second half and Glenties captain Thompson hit a superb point to stretch their lead to 0-8 to 0-3.

But McManus narrowed the gap with a pointed free and midfielder Francis Hughes hit a superb point for the losers in the 40th minute to leave just a goal between the side.

And there was a small glimmer of hope when McManus made it a two-point game after Vinny Corey was fouled.

It was then that team captain Thompson walked tall when it counted, hitting a superb point with the outside of the boot to give his team some breathing space.

And that was the margin to the finish as the winners look forward to their third Ulster final since 2005.

Naomh Conaill: S McGrath; U Doherty, A J Gallagher, K McGettigan (0-1); E O'Donnell, A Thompson, E Waide; C Thompson (0-32f), L McLoone (0-1); B McDyer (0-1), E McGettigan (0-63f), E Doherty; J McKelvey, C McGuinness, M Boyle.

Subs: K Gallagher for A J Gallagher (b-card 21) D Molloy for B McDyer and S Molloy for C McGuinness (50), D Gallagher for U Doherty (61). 

Clontibret: D McDonnell; C Doyle, C Boyle, L Savage; J Gormley, D Mone (0-1), C Greenan; F Hughes (0-1) K Lavelle; D Savage, M P O’Dowd, B Greenan; P Boyle, V Corey, C McManus (0-65f).

Subs: R McGuigan for D Savage (26), D McDonnell for R McGuigan (50),KGreenan for P Boyle (53), D Hughes (0-1) for F Hughes (60). 

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan)